Getting into Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether or not you have "warning" signs depends on your definition of warning, your own body, and the particular blackout. Everyone is different and every breath hold is different. Some people get a very strong urge to breath right from the start of their breath holds. This could be an indication of "something wrong" (your body is saying, hey, what's up, please start breathing) but that doesn't mean you should necessarily stop your hold right then and there. Some people get no warning signs whatsoever. A person I took the PFI course with was prone to samba/blackouts with NO warning. He didn't get any contractions or urge to breathe, even on longer (4+ minutes) holds. He'd feel 100% fine, then be blacked out a split second later.

Yes, use your head and trust your instincts (this is common sense), but never EVER assume that you will have any sort of advance warning of a blackout, even if you have always sensed them before.

. i have free dived /snorkelled for many years in the PAST i had the terrible habbit of hyperventelating prior -- NOT SMART !! i have come close to blacking out . my body did give me warning signs so i was lucky and pulled up i agree totally with you JENNY and i also understand and agree with what LIQUIDG is saying .
i think you need to understand your own body and what limitations you can go to.

Last edited:
where can i see that documentary u talk about. what is it called ive been looking

Back
Top Bottom