Getting into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c6six

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at getting into tech diving. I live in central NY.

I have:
2 xtx 100's
and that is about it.

I'm looking at:
-backplate and wing, was going to go w/ H eclipse 40# and evolve 60#, but am not so sure about that now after reading a bunch of posts.

-twins, I would just assume go as big as I can for now. I can always get smaller ones later, but don't want to be limited by size now! Does that make sense, what should I be looking for?

-deco bottle size?

I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to spend it and then wish I had gotten something else, and have way too much info running through my head right now.
I am 25 years old, and have 40 to 50 dives, and I seem to like the deeper darker ones best so far.

oh, and this is my first post

:admingreet:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Technical Diving Specialties.

BTW, Welcome (Scub)aBoard!

Really, the best thing is to figure out what kind of diving you are going to do, and who you are going to do it with, and hook up with those people and find out what they are diving and how they arrange it. You want to use doubles that are big enough for the dives you intend to do, but not ridiculously large and heavy. Remember you have to carry them up boat ladders!

It can also be very productive to identify the technical instructor with whom you want to work, and talk to him about his gear recommendations.

I agree with TSandM. What you need most right now is experience.

I think he's made up his mind on what kind of diving he wants to do...

With that, the first steps on this life long journey is three fold.

1. You need to start building up gear resources.

The gear you need to do this properly is going to cost a lot. (doubles = $1000; drysuit = $2000, deco bottle = $750, backgas regs = $1000+, wing = $300, light = $1000+, backup lights = $300+, etc...) Chances are you can't afford it all at once, so you need to do this over time. The key is to purchase stuff that is forward compatible. For example, a backplate can be used with doubles or singles. Single steel tanks can be doubled up at a later. AL80s can be used as singles now and stages later.

2. You need to develop proficiency at fundamental skills. Buoyancy control, finning techniques, environment and team awareness, etc... These skills all have one thing in common. You only get better with practice which require time.

3. You need to learn the tactics techniques and procedures. Gas planning, deco procedures, failure management, etc... This requires a good mentor/instructor and of course time and money.

Bottom line is, you can't just go from getting OW certified one day to diving a 200ft wreck the next. Even if you could afford all the gear, you need to develop skill and experience which requires time and lots of diving.

Certainly you can start down the path. I'd recommend a drysuit as your first investment followed by a pair of steel tanks that you can dive as singles now and doubles later. After that, get a backplate and single wing. A double wing can come later. As you acquire this gear you need to get out and dive often focusing on buoyancy control, trim, and finning. This will be a lot easier if you have a group of people to dive with who also want to be tech divers and or some mentors who can provide feedback. Then you need a primary light, followed by bands and a manifold to double you tanks....

Good luck.

Jonathan

Well, what I meant by what kind of diving he wants to do is are the wrecks he wants to visit in the Tech 1 range or the Tech 2 range? That may make a difference in the size of doubles he needs for his diving.

I would suggest taking it a step at a time. Perhaps doubles first. Get proficient with them then think about a deco bottle, or maybe a drysuit.

Take it a step at a time as each time you add gear you'll need some time to practice with it. Practice will also give you time to consider what equipment will be best for your next step.

Overall take it slow as you don't want to end up with a bunch of equipment that is not suitable for your diving, or finding your not comfortable using it,

Mat.

I might say to the OP....keep up your active sport diving as you learn by reading/watching/asking.....continue to take small steps in your training and gear purchases. Have a 'reason' for moving onto the next level of diving skill....practice and most of all have fun! Technical diving seems to be a 'big rage' right now....everyone is wanting to be a technical diver...I hope yours is a serious one as it does involve commitment and time and resources. Good luck. :)

If you're not diving dry at this point, this should be your priority. It's a bigger step going from wet to dry than going from single to doubles. With that said, I believe diving is the next thing to focus on. Control and being comfortable under water is always something you benefit from when taking a new course on your way to being a technical diver.

I know I have to go dry next, I have a dry suit class at the beginning of next month. The class is with the instructor that I would be doing technical training with. I guess from what you are telling me, he will give me a good idea of what I need next.

Right now I want to be able to go to wrecks at 100+ feet and be able to spend a good amount of time there. I have no doubt about getting into technical diving for the right reasons. (like you haven't heard that before) I just want to do it right, so as I get better, and learn more, I don't have a bunch of bad habits to break, and equipment to buy over. Right now I can afford a dry suit backplate and wings. So that is my plan. Should I go the Halcyon route? I dove a rental in 40# eclipse in Florida recently...... heaven.......compared to my probe lx. I wish I would have known it and bought the backplate and wing 1st. I just don't want to get into that type of situation.

I may also be able to afford tanks soon, but I guess I should be waiting?
I should take this course next month in back plate and wing I would assume?
Should I do it in the eclipse or evolve?
I don't want to move to fast, but I seem to be quick learner, thus far, I am sure I will be challenged more and more shortly!

thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom