Getting my rig sorted out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Spent lat Saturday morning with a seasoned sidemount diver, on the Rothesay Shipwreck (St Lawrence River) Prescott, On, Ca. Getting my Nomad rig sorted out.
Many thanks to Anglofish for helping get things adjusted.
I was in a viking HD drysuit, although not necessary for this dive (water 20°C), because I've never dived sidemount dry.
Once things were all adjusted my trim was pretty good.
The only issue I had was my legs filling with air.
Normally I dive with 2 lbs ankle weights, (backmount), that I removed. I may need to invest in gators.
Also my left regulator hose would constantly get hooked over my suit inflator.
The inflator on my viking is not centered, but on the lower left side of the chest (old style).
I think I can resolve this by placing my 7 ft hose on the left tank, coiled then routed around my neck over my shoulder, with bolt snap.
The shorter hose will go on the right tank, with 90° elbow & necklaced..

Mike D

long hose on the left is done by a lot of people but it is not without issues. None when actually diving for that hose, but when sharing air having the hose cross is not ideal.
The right hose coming straight up can also be problematic but it is what it is.

Thankyou for the input tbone.
More playing still required obviously.
Ours is not so much a restriction concern, we're wreck diving.
I was thinking the doner hose on left would work well face to face, I am used to it around my neck (aka dir)
& if I keep the recipient on my left it wouldn't cross.
Just thinking out loud right now.

No both my regs are Mares MR22.
I'm quite surprised as when I dive single/backmount I have the second stage on 90° elbow & necklaced.
I have practiced with it quite a bit with students over the years, as most are unfamiliar with the 7ft hose.

No both my regs are Mares MR22.
I'm quite surprised as when I dive single/backmount I have the second stage on 90° elbow & necklaced.
I have practiced with it quite a bit with students over the years, as most are unfamiliar with the 7ft hose.

it's more what you do with the extra length of hose, it bowing out when you move your head, etc etc

You can see it in Brian's old set up here.

Thanks for the link. That's basically the direction I'm heading.
Routing down & then back up.
The slight difference : I plan to necklace the right (short hose).
Obviously I still have to work out the details.

Care to share a pic of what you are currently doing? Like, kneel down next to your tanks and route the hoses as if you are diving? Sounds like a clusterduck, and the solution doesn't sound like it will be solving that to be honest.

My right hose currently routes across my chest and around my neck.(dir style)
Currently my left hose, (std length) routes downward, then uturns up to necklace around my neck.
When it's not in use, or I tilt my head down,it drops just low enough for the end U to hook around my suit inflator.
Admittedly a shorter hose would also solve this , but that's not in the budget right now.
Moving the 7ft hose to the left keeps the longer loop in the tank bungy, it will still route around my neck as it does now.
The right hose route down along the tank, then up to my neck. It has a 90° elbow on 2nd stage so hose is fine vertical.

Attachments

• Viking_drysuit.jpg
    Viking_drysuit.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 85
I still don't understand how you're routing that short hose. It doesn't go behind your neck?

Back
Top Bottom