getting old sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right on target - early 40's it deteriorates and then when your strength starts to go in your 60's, the eyesight comes back. Go figure.

I was very lucky after Lasik surgery. One eye shifted slightly nearsighted and I ended up with mono vision. It really is the best of both worlds, one eye for distance one for close up. I need some help with really small print in dark places.

On this subject I was diving last Saturday and the visibility was so bad...

How bad was it?

It was less than my eye's minimum focus distance.

Well, I've had poor eyesight all my life ... runs in the family (all my sibs do to) ... so that's no big deal. Vision is easily correctable. What I've noticed as I've gotten older is that ...

- My hair seems to have migrated from the top of my head to places where hair was never meant to grow.

- My clothing has an annoying tendency to shrink much faster than it did when I was younger ... most perplexing is how it can happen to a trilaminate drysuit ... :11:

- My definition of an "all-nighter" has changed to mean one where I don't wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom ... :browsmile

Oddly, when I think back to the earlier parts of my life, I wouldn't trade these years for those years ... in fact, I'm rather looking forward to seeing what the next "chapter" will bring ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

justleesa:
Not whining...stating a fact :D as a picture taker - eyes are important...the loss of sight and losing the ability to take those nice pictures is devastating for me

Ooops, guess I pricked a sensitive spot, eh? Lots of great photogs over the years who did outstanding work past 40... You'll find a way to accomodate, just like many others over the years. Then when I come to Oahu in January you'll have lots of good images to show off.

And now the news:

...and on a more positive note....

Today's 60's are yesterday's 40's, according to sources.

Just a few decades ago, a forty year old man or woman was looking toward the final twenty productive years of their lives, followed by sedentary retirement. Today, sixty year olds are healthier, more active and living longer. Retirement has been pushed further and further ahead, and life spans are continually increasing, rendering today's sixty years olds vital, productive, and happily looking toward their next twenty active years.

"I'm just getting started!" bellowed forty-seven year old Scuba Diver Rick Inman as he dove head first off the local pier while sporting a set of twin 95 scuba tanks.

Medical experts are predicting even more advances in both the care and prevention of age related conditions in the next twenty years. Artificial organ transplants may become the norm. Nano technology could detect coronary and vestibular disease and treat it at it's beginning stages.

"By the time I reach eighty, " said Rick Inman, pushing his mask up onto his forehead as he surfaced from a deep trimix dive, "they'll be calling eighty years old the new sixty's!"

In conclusion, middle agers have more reason to be excited about their active future than ever before.

And, in a related story... TV evangelist Pat Robertson predicted that the end of the world will come next Tuesday during the airing of American Idol...

Rick Inman:
"By the time I reach eighty, " said Rick Inman, pushing his mask up onto his forehead .....

That, of course, was necessary to match the leaking valve.... It just wouldn't have looked balanced otherwise....

:D

R..

cfelliot:
A boat boy? So that's the secret. If I'd had some little slave to lug, setup and clean-up, I might have fit in a few more.
I was so totally spoiled after that trip. The week was split up. 5 days of diving, back to port to drop off passengers who weren't doing the other leg of the trip and pick up those who were. I didn't know if he was going to be on the second leg, so I made sure I gave him his tip before I left for shore. Well, he was on the second leg and he was so happy to see me coming back on the longtail boat, he waved to me from far away. LOL.

ArcticDiver:
Ooops, guess I pricked a sensitive spot, eh? .

Nah :D

Lots of great photogs over the years who did outstanding work past 40... You'll find a way to accomodate, just like many others over the years.

I sure do hope so

Then when I come to Oahu in January you'll have lots of good images to show off

and if not (I will have lots of topside stuff :wink: it's always fun to go diving and have a nice meal :D :wink:

- My definition of an "all-nighter" has changed to mean one where I don't wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom ...

:rofl: :D

And, in a related story... TV evangelist Pat Robertson predicted that the end of the world will come next Tuesday during the airing of American Idol...

just because Pat is a little crazy, does not mean he is wrong. The two are not necesarily mutually exclusive.

Rick, you had your mask on your forehead and it was documented in a news story?

If yesterdays 40's are todays 30's, does that mean I am a child molester? yikes, I think I need it to stay the old way.

I vow to never speak of bodily functions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom