Getting out of the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverEMT

Reaction score
Ok, after attempting my first dive from a boat and ending up aborting the dive for other reasons, I was looking for some advice on the best way to get out of the boat. When I did my dive I rolled out backwards and as I came up I felt a little disoriented and I was worried about the position of the boat (which pushed away from me when I rolled out I discovered after I surfaced). When I surfaced I was a little panicked and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath (the water was about 50 F which I know didn't help). We ended up aborting the dive because my buddy got sick. I've only done shore entries, now I need some advice on entering from the boat.

Depends on the boat you're on. Zodiac size, backroll (takes a bit of practice to be comfortable, but when you hit the water, pause a second, breathe and figure out which way is up). Bigger dive boats, either giant stride or floating off backward on the submerged platform. Was this your first backroll entry?

I remember my first backroll entry, made me nervous, almost lost my mask, it was a long way down to the water, ended up upside down, etc. I agree, just pause and get orientated before you do anything and that should help a lot. Also, remember to hold your mask on and check the strap after you enter BEFORE you release your mask thinking it is still on your face so it must be fine. The strap can ride up to the top of your head and when you let go there goes your mask. Each sucessive rollback entry went far better than my first one and now I do not think twice when doing one, just relax and go with it. Also, as stated on the larger boats you can usually do a giant stride entry.

Backroll entries work very well. You hold your mask with one hand, your weight belt buckle with the other, just like a giant stride, and roll off the boat. After you get in the water, just hold a second for the bubbles to go away if they are disorienting. Eventually, after you've done a few, they are just as easy as a giant stride. I actually like them better, because I enter with no air in my BC and when I roll upright, I am already under water. I just check on my buddy and descend.

I see a lot of people who do back roll entries flail around trying to get to the top as soon as they hit the water. Just relax, holding your reg and mask just let your partially inflated BC do its job and bring you to the top. Breath normally and make sure you give the boat the OK sign.

just like a lot of other things, backroll entries take some getting used to but with a little practise you'll become a pro.

try again and heed the advice above.

if the boat has a good sized swim platform, you could always do a giant stride entry.

Another important aspect of the backroll entry ... since it's almost always done off of a smaller boat, is to make sure you are clear on how you are going to get back ON the boat after your dive is over. Many smaller boats don't have ladders ... some (most) require you to remove your gear in the water before getting back into the boat.

As with all things scuba, what goes down must come up ... and it's often the case when a backroll is required that getting off the boat is much easier than getting back on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use either the giant stride or sit on the side or rear of the boat, and do a sideways roll into the water if I don't wanna make a big spash.

If the backwards roll is tough on you perhaps a seated controlled entry will work.

NWGratefulDiver:
Another important aspect of the backroll entry ... since it's almost always done off of a smaller boat, is to make sure you are clear on how you are going to get back ON the boat after your dive is over. Many smaller boats don't have ladders ... some (most) require you to remove your gear in the water before getting back into the boat.

As with all things scuba, what goes down must come up ... and it's often the case when a backroll is required that getting off the boat is much easier than getting back on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good point Bob. Also make sure if you do have to take off your gear the fins are last and you're holding onto the ladder, especially in a swell. I like to be the last one up the ladder but I'm sure anyone in the water will give you a hand if you need it.
It's pretty hard to climb up by the motor. I know because one dive I was dropping in doing a back roll and twisted a bit so I didn't slap anyone with my fins. The ladder was hanging over the edge of the boat and I got my BC hung up on it, just my hands and fins in the water. I was a bit stunned at first, wondering what the heck was going on. Needless to say I was a bit embarassed hanging there. One the DMs, my girlfriend at the time, got quite a chuckle after she knew I was OK. I wiggled around a bit and dropped into the water with her giggles ringing in my ears. Anyway the ladder was cracked and we all had to climb back in by the motors. The other 4 divers did not have a problem but it was stil a PITA.
Note to self: always be sure of your surroundings before you drop. She still teases me about it and uses it in her dive briefings. It was pretty funny and it shows that no matter how much experience you might have, you can still do dumb things.

Back
Top Bottom