Getting Ready for Summer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So spring is finally here (for those of us in the north east it stil feels like winter :shakehead:) and I wanted to hear what people are doing to physically get ready for the "prime" dive months.

I'm 21, in great shape (well some christmas cookie fat still) and have started to run 1 mile at least 3x a week. Why only a mile? Because I'm a horrible asthamtic and that is all my body can handle right now. I log every run as follows:

Todays Run
Starting HR: 79
Time: 8:15
Ending HR: 172

Now I have an excel spreadsheet and as the weeks go on I'll see my "Ending HR" drop considerably, at which time I'll up my speed, distance, etc. It's kind of a double win, I strengthen my lungs and build my endurance. I am considering getting a Pulse Oximeter to track my blood oxygen level when I run. But I think it could be handy to have on the boat and see how my oxygen levels fluctuate after a dive.

So how are you getting ready?

I'm only 29 and have always been physically fit. I don't work-out in a gym but I'm a UPS delivery driver so I get a workout everyday and get paid at the same time. I still have a resting heart rate in the low 60s.

The only thing I guess I do really is start a nasal steroid and allergy medication to keep the ears and nose clear. Once that congestion hits, it's hard to get rid of. And maybe some shaving/waxing. ;D

I'm only 29 and have always been physically fit. I don't work-out in a gym but I'm a UPS delivery driver so I get a workout everyday and get paid at the same time. I still have a resting heart rate in the low 60s.

The only thing I guess I do really is start a nasal steroid and allergy medication to keep the ears and nose clear. Once that congestion hits, it's hard to get rid of. And maybe some shaving/waxing. ;D

Yeah I forgot about my job. I put away the truck at a convenience store (Sheetz), I put away 200+ boxes 3x a week in the cooler/freezer, plus stocking the several hundred drinks. Mix of lifting, dealing with the cold, constantly moving; all keeps me somewhat in shape while in college.

I walk out to the mailbox six days a week (100 yds) all year round unless it's nasty out and then I take my 4-wheel drive pickup. I also work out on the harmonica a couple hours a week. That keep me in shape (round).

Have a trip to Cozumel in May, have been playing hockey all winter (mens league, ok beer league), just started cycling 25 miles 3-4 times a week and running about 2 miles twice a week. Granted this is not so much for diving but to get the winter fat off for a trip to the caribbean. I am sure it will help with the diving though. Last time i dove was in october.

OP------not too much right now---& in another 40 years you'll know exactly what I'm talking about....

i keep diving year around
when the water freezes over on the st lawrence,ice diving!
when im not doing that,its pool work with classes
...then i have a 50 hr a week job....
to pay bills with
have fun
yaeg

I'll start training for the triathlon season any day now. Any day. Maybe some time this week. I think I know where my bike is...I wonder if the tires need air. Should prolly buy a new pair of sneakers too.

I was all excited about the time change giving me daylight to ride and trail run after work, but so far I just have not gotten to it yet. Seems later and later every year, and I seem to gain a few more pounds during hibernation and not all of them come off.

Damn age...

I've been running several miles almost daily because of track, in addition to 100 pushups and 100 sit ups each night. The sit ups/pushups are for general fitness, spring break, and upcoming military exams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom