Getting rid of the stink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Tevas, wetsuit, booties. They all stink like hell. What can be done to get rid of the stink?

I've used a product called "Slosh" before. While this product does work to rid the smell.... after the initial soaking the smell returns... very quickly. Don't count on that product to rid your gear of the odors you smell but only mask it for maybe one dive.

my recipe - a thorough rinse while still wet. i take off the gear & jump back in with the zippers down & slosh some water around. as my ow instructor said, 'if you pee, you gotta flush!'

then a wash in my front loader washer with generic l!sterine and wetsuit shampoo. i fold back the cuffs of my booties to try & make sure they get washed inside instead of clamping together.

once in a while, i do the front load wash thing with some mirazime or sink-the-stink. this is probably what you need to do.

the rinse & every time wash keep the smell way way down, and the enzyme cleaner is for when the funk is catching up, anyway. :)

Babyduck,

Have you noticed any wear and tear issues on the gear from placing them in the washing machine?

I put my wetsuit in the front loader this weekend for the first time. I did it on the hand wash cycle after a two hour soak cycle with a low spin and the suits look great. I am sure I agitate it in my laundry sink more than the machine did. I see no wear but this was the first time that I did it.

I was afraid I was going to ruin something but that would have moved me to getting my dry suit sooner so I was not all that worried. Alas, I still have my wetsuits. Maybe if I put them on full spin and heavy duty wash cycles. :thinking: :hm:

nope, never had an issue & i do it after every dive day / trip.

though i emphasize the 'front loader' part.

mirazime / MiraZyme has worked great for me. Have a large Rubbermaid garbage can dedicated to dunking my gear when i get home. add 1-2oz mirazime, fill with water (2/3's) insert wetsuit boots, etc, swish around for about 1 minute ... retrieve it the next day. Perfect record so far.

I ran into something interesting, but have not yet tried it on a wetsuit: Hang the wetsuit in a small room or, better yet, in one of those large clothing bags; toss in 1 or 2 of the shoe inserts that are supposed to absorb odors; wait.

The idea is that the shoe inserts are carbon based and carbon attracts and retains the molecules that cause odor.

I have used the process on other things and it seems to work. Right now I'm trying to get the odor of gasoline out of the interior of my boat. I'll report later.

Back
Top Bottom