Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a group of VDHers were here just over a year ago, just before
I welcomed myself to the internet jungle. Probably fortunate for them.

DaleC, thanks for the 1974 NSSSD :D I look forward to receiving it.

Well, after looking through all the usual places to find a DH locally, the search turned up nothing.

I'm currently trying to get in touch with Bryan from VDH for an explorer kit :D One of the SB members I know is heading home this Feb, so I've got an opportunity for an easy way to get one. I've also taken the opportunity to order the "bible" - Robert's "Basic Scuba"

Since I haven't actually placed the order yet, I was vacillating between the VDH explorer, or just go straight to the PRAM... hmmmmmmm :D

Either way you will end up with a great reg. The question here really becomes do you want to dive a vintage reg or do you want to dive a double hose reg, there is a difference. The Phoenix is for all practical purposes a modern reg, it just uses some vintage parts and vintage designed parts in it's construction. It has modern internal parts and all the functionality of any modern reg, the later Mistral that AL released a few years ago is a direct comparison, same internals as a matter of fact. You can choose to dive the Phoenix in the vintage style or as close to it as you choose (Octo or none, LP inflator or none, SPG or use banjo or J valve) or you can equip it fully modern if you like or need to. The reverse is not completely true of the DA or most other DH regs, if you want/need a SPG you must use a banjo or other means, if you want an octo or LP inflator it is possible to do using the hooka port (DAAM and RAM- not the Mistral and other DH regs). From a parts and servicability standpoint they are close to being on par with the Phoenix being a little ahead because all of it's intenals are standard AL parts that fit the Titan, Conshelf and almost every other USD/AL reg from the last 40 years. You will likely have to learn to service either of them yourself because most shops will not touch a DH reg. Any good tech familure with USD/AL regs should be able to service one, just convincing them to do so is the problem. You can always upgrade the DA/RAM to a Phoenix later if cost is an issue.
I own several of each. From a diving perspective there is little difference between them although the Phoenix and RAMs can be tuned a little closer to the edge that the others. Which I grab depends on the day and where I am going. For travel, I take the Phoenix just in case I run into the scuba police. No police and it has a SPG and maybe an octo.

Since I haven't actually placed the order yet, I was vacillating between the VDH explorer, or just go straight to the PRAM... hmmmmmmm :D

You "need" one of each… maybe more… :D

From my perspective of having way too many dhs to use, I would own two regulators, the Phoenix and a Mistral (not Aqualungs, but an original). The Phoenix has all the tricks and it allows you to dive ANYWHERE. The Mistral is the simplest and best working reg for true vintage diving. A oval mask, single 71.2 with J-valve, cotton harness, vintage fins, wire buckled weight belt, smoothskin wetsuit and a Mistral just doesn't get any better.
gettingready-3.jpg

The Mistral is the simplest and best working reg for true vintage diving. A oval mask, single 71.2 with J-valve, cotton harness, vintage fins, wire buckled weight belt, smoothskin wetsuit and a Mistral just doesn't get any better.

Dive warm water. Ditch the wet suit and weights and then your talking the ultimate dive IMHO. Then your a real manfish or woman fish as the case may be. true freedom in the water can then be attained.

Jim

Just ordered the DH Explorer kit from VDH. I hope the weather cooperates so it can be shipped on time :D. I've broken down my doubles set so I've got two LP72s to test it out with. Now I'm positively kicking myself for throwing out the backpack that the tanks came with...

Just ordered the DH Explorer kit from VDH. I hope the weather cooperates so it can be shipped on time :D. I've broken down my doubles set so I've got two LP72s to test it out with. Now I'm positively kicking myself for throwing out the backpack that the tanks came with...

You don't need a backpack, just order one of those tank harnesses that Alan makes and you'll be set.

That Explorer kit comes with a banjo fitting for an SPG and a fitting for the hookah port that converts it to an LP port. You might want to pick up a three-way LP port adapter to put in the converted hookah port. That way, you can add an inflator and an octo if you need to.

The banjo fitting is made for the old style 3/8" HP port, so you'll need to get a 3/8" to 7/16" adapter if you're going to use a modern SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom