Getting started with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've been curious about making the move to BPW for a while and just scored a pretty nice but used DSS setup. It had straps and all the normal hardware but is missing the crotch strap. I think I'm just going to replace all the webbing.

I'm about to get a DGX order together for a replacement harness, but curious what other accessories I should consider as a new BPW diver. I know I need to figure out weights... I was considering some pockets on my belt, then maybe a couple small trim pockets to go elsewhere on the harness. But I'm really not sure what's best, or even how much weight I should anticipate needing (the plate is SS).

Anything else I should consider getting?

Does it fit? If so why would you replace the webbing?

if you rig it as most people do having pockets can be a challenge, probably use it, if it fits, before ordering stuff, look for actual shortcomings and look for hardware to address those.

piranha is a good site to look for these add ons.

Good question, I can make it fit... one of the d-rings is backward and figured I'll need to redo all the webbing, may as well get new while I'm at it.

I use these on the waist strap for weight integration. They lock way back up against the plate. I am otherwise Hogartian rigged.

I use these on the cambands for trim weights:

Basic rigging:

Piranha is a great source for gear, fast and well priced. You want to get stiff or medium stiff webbing, none of the soft stuff or seatbelt webbing. Too hard to get in and out of.

Good question, I can make it fit... one of the d-rings is backward and figured I'll need to redo all the webbing, may as well get new while I'm at it.
I don’t understand what you mean by “backward” webbing is the simplest part and everything else just attaches to it, you can freely take things off and put them where you want them. Watch the video nemrod linked to, it all looks complicated until you start in.

as for webbing stiffness, I usually go for medium (regular) stiffness, stiff has some pluses as does soft but each is situational, I just finished using some really soft stuff where a rash guard was the only exposure protection, great for packing for travel and no hassle in use but y normal diving is in a drysuit, soft webbing is way to much trouble in that situation, stiff is great for getting into and out of, the regular is a good compromise.

I don’t understand what you mean by “backward”

Oh, it's a bent d-ring, one side is correct, then other side the bend is going against the webbing.

Oh, it's a bent d-ring, one side is correct, then other side the bend is going against the webbing.
Just unthread enough to flip the ring and put it together again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom