Getting started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BJOE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Name is Joe and I came here for help from experienced divers. My plan is to get certified by May. My first question is, out of the two available certifications PADI & NAUI, which direction should I go and why? Thanks and I look forward to all input.

Depends on the specific shop and specific instructor. I tend to lean NAUI, but it's all about what you're comfortable with. Best of luck. Where in TN are you?

At the OW level, there isn't much difference in curriculum. The instructor will make all the difference.

Beyond the OW level, the PADI business model will try to sell you a bunch of ridiculous specialties before you are ready for AOW or master diver, where as the NAUI model has those built as stand alone courses.

Best bet is to talk to each shop, specifically the instructor, and decide who you are most comfortable with, which one is more humble and which one is least slimy from a business standpoint.

Where in Tennessee are you located? There may be more than those two to choose from. I am also going to suggest that you read this : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-and-those-considering-diving/283566-responsible.html

and this: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ring-diving/287780-excellent-scuba-class.html

Once you have done that I might also suggest a copy of this : SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver: James A Lapenta: 9781494900250: Amazon.com: Books

All of these were written with you in mind. You will get a lot of opinions that all basic OW classes are the pretty much the same. This is not true by any stretch of the imagination. The standards that you are to be taught to are different, have different skills, different minimum class times, different minimum content, and can vary greatly based on the person teaching it even in the same agency guidelines.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is "What am I really doing getting certified to scuba dive?" Here's my opinion - Getting a certification to scuba dive is embarking on an adventure. One that takes place in an environment that is normally hostile to human life. We do not have gills. You need to use a mechanical device (with multiple ways of it being able to fail) that requires specialized training to use safely and maintain to exist in that environment. You are entering an environment, and frankly a way of life, that is exciting, educational, relaxing, fun, and offers the opportunity to experience what 95% of the rest of the population will never experience.

At the same time it presents an element of danger and risk that can be reduced, but never eliminated, by good training, experience, and following safe diving protocols. The element of danger that is manifested under water is often found by going too far, too fast, outside of your training and experience, and by accepting less than comprehensive training in scuba. Those items can result in serious injury or death in some very nasty and creative ways.

So what do you think would be the type of training to seek out? Quick, very basic info, and with the risks glossed over to minimize the time required? Or comprehensive training based on skills and education that may take a little longer but greatly increase your independence and ability to dive safely and be a good dive partner?

The fact is that it is possible to get the latter in any agency. But you can only do that by finding the instructor willing AND able to take the time necessary to impart that information. How you find that instructor is by treating them like any employee you would be hiring. That is what you are doing. Hiring an employee to work FOR you to teach you the necessary skills and pass on the necessary information to not only survive but have a boat load of fun.

So you need to interview that person. Think of the kind of interview you would conduct on someone who was going to care for your children and go by that. The kind of questions and background information you'd want. References. The one thread I noted has a number of questions to ask. The book I linked to has even more and other information that I think every new diver should have.

What are they teaching you? What should they be teaching you? Ask them to see in writing what they should be doing. Every agency has written standards they must follow and content they must cover. It's all spelled out in plain English. Ask them to see those standards and ask them how they compare to those of other agencies. They should be able to tell you. Some may not since they have not taken the initiative to find out. I have the standards for nine agencies in my personal library. I'll show any student all of them.

Many people put more thought into buying and selecting a new TV or washer/dryer than they do selecting a scuba class. This can come back to bite them big time.

So, PADI or NAUI? Neither. Until you have done your homework and discovered the best avenue of training for you after checking as many as you can. Don't forget about SEI, SDI, SSI, etc. Also look into classes at your local university and with independent instructors. There is a great program at Middle Tennessee State University run by a personal friend and dive buddy. She has been teaching there for a while and is someone I would send my kids to.

That's another thing to consider when selecting an instructor. Would I trust them to train my loved ones?

Nashville

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 10:11 AM ----------

Very good information, thanks

I think your end goal is probably a good idea to think of too. Jim had some great info. He may not think too much of the way I'm doing my OW, as I did e Leaning and will do my cert dives in Cancun next week. However, I learn well self directed, and I trust the shop I'm using dowe there. I've dived with "Discover SCUBA" by PADI twice now, four shallow dives. I'm getting certified to put a bit of variety in my vacation diving. I only dive once a year or two, so every dive will be with a DM that I trust, as I know my skills will rustify in the between times. At this point I have no plans for AOW or further courses, but I'll probably do a SCUBA refresher yearly or so.

You need to trust your trainers, know your limits, and understand your weaknesses and strengths. My SCUBA experience will likely be very different from yours, but if we are on a dive together one day, I don't care what org signed tour ticket, I just want to know that you'll have my back and I'll have the skills to have yours - if not I should be partnered with a different or more experienced buddy, and/or be doing a dive not outside my comfort zone.

Does that help at all?

PS. I did notice that SSI provides their learning materials for free online and you only pay for training and tests etc. Kind of a nice business model, but my instructor prefers to teach to the PADI or NAUI curriculum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom