Getting Suunto Mosquito into Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's been majorly frustration trying to figure out how to set my Mosquito for Nitrox, especially since I only dive once a year during the Scubaboard Invasion :D. Somehow I've managed to continuously forget how to set it; even following the manual and the "cheat sheet" don't help (confusing instructions or bad student, take your pick). So I'm posting the steps (truth be told) so that when I forget AGAIN I can easily search Scubaboard for them, especially since I've spent the last 2 hours trying to figure it all out. ugh

I don't see many other divers with Mosquitos anymore -- most have graduated to more sophisticated computers :wink: -- so I doubt this will help anyone else out, but for the amount of diving I do, I have no plans to upgrade unless I happen on a windfall and splurge on a Suunto D4i. Big upgrade, I know.

Here goes... after analysing my tank, typical figures are: 33 as the O2% & 1.4 as the PO2 & 110'/33m as the MOD

#1 To set the computer for Nitrox:
MODE (top right) X3 --> SET (top left) X3 --> DIVE + wait --> ON will be flashing > SELECT (top left) > EAN will be flashing > SELECT (top left) > O2 will be flashing, toggle up/down (bottom right/left) to % > SELECT (top left) > PO2 will be flashing, toggle up/down (bottom right) to 1.4 > MODE (top right) X3 to exit/finish setup & return to TIME mode.
#2 When ready to dive:
MODE (top right) X2 to enter EAN mode.
#3 Jump in and get wet!

I'm going to leave it in EAN mode from now on, and if I dive Air I'll simply set the O2 to 21% -- I understand that with other computers, once you enter Nitrox mode you can switch back to Air mode for 24-48 hours. And if I leave it in EAN mode, I won't have to deal with this ****e again :)

Good practice to always set to Nitrox even if diving air.

Yes, the Suuntos are odd in that they have two modes: Air and Nitrox, as though Air is not a subset of Nitrox.

Actually it has 3 modes... air, nitrox and free.

It's not odd at all. If someone isn't certified for nitrox, why show them information and po2 and oxygen tracking that will be meaningless to them?

The manual is here:

http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/mosquito_manual_en_28f95.pdf

I always did it by muscle memory so I don't know if I can explain it any better then the manual. If you can't figure it out, we could do a Skype session or something and walk you through it.

Thanks for the offer chrpai.
I did figure it out, hence the instructions above.
I had the manual in front of me as well as the cheat sheet and it still took me two hours to figure out.
All is good now, and I've been diving it in Nitrox all week here during the Invasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom