Getting the best out of Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple things to add:

When you do the orientation, at the end of it you'll need to do a dive. Otherwise that will be your first dive the next day from shore. You won't get your BMP tag without it. They won't let you on the boat without it because they get fined if stopped. If Habitat can't do it, try Dive Friends at Sand Dollar condos just down the street. They'll pretty much do it whenever you need. Most resorts typically do it between 9-10AM daily if that works in your schedule also. A good one is at Bonaire Dive/Adventure, Jerry Ligon is a naturalist so you hear more about the Mangroves, the Salt Pans etc. It's also one of the longest...

There's a lot of divers at Habitat. There's a lot of divers at Buddy Dive's bar next door. And every other resort in that area - you can walk to about 3-4 of them. So finding a buddy/series of buddies shouldn't be difficult. When you have your dates firmed up, post here or on bonairetalk.com looking for one. We actually met two groups at the airport waiting for our Bonaire flight - later dove with one of them. Saw the others also, usually leaving as we arrived.

Near Habitat there's a small market, a deli, every other resort's restaurants (about 4-5 in walking distance - Habitat - Buddys - Sand Dollar - Den Laman - Eden Beach. - all have restaurants also afaik (maybe not SD?), Lover's Ice Cream, a bank/ATM etc.

Kind of a long walk from downtown (for me) but I don't like hiking either.

I was standing at the rinse tanks at Habitat one day waiting for my buddy - must've looked forlorn - because 2 different people asked if I wanted to join them. When someone buys a dive/drive package - most everyone does - the de facto dive vehicle on Bonaire is a 4dr. small pickup. So most people have room for another diver.

If you do shore dive take nothing with you you don't want to lose. Put all your gear loose in the truck, tanks in the back. About the only thing they (mostly kids) won't take is tanks. Also leave the doors unlocked and the windows down and open. Or they will and you'll have to pay to have it replaced. To bring stuff along, one of these is what I used. http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=BrandDisplay&BrandName=Witz With the BMP tag on your BC you won't need your c-card and there's a theory that if you were in an accident, the police would let you return to your resort for your d/l. I haven't tested that but our DM said she leaves hers at home. It's a pretty casual place...

If you have a little strobe flasher, bring it. When you night dive, hang it on the nearest ladder, mooring rope etc. We do that and since the water is so clear you see it a long way away. Even a red one. Any dives off the resorts are lit up. Habitat has big lights that light up their dock area - it brings the Tarpon in. Which btw hunt in your divelight at night. The first time is a little intense...:D Cliff is a really good dive there, one of few vertical walls on Bonaire. It's north from the resort. They also have the LaMachaca wreck - it'd be good for your orientation dive - I wouldn't make a special effort.

Just down the street in front of Sand Dollar/Den Laman condos is Bari Reef. Most counted species of fish in the Caribbean. Past there the diving kind of tapers off. Buddy's Reef next door is supposed to be good also, we didn't dive it.

If you go out to Klein with Habitat - ask for Forest, it's a good one. A "forest" of Black Coral at 70'. The other really good boat dive nearby is Rappel - you can't really get there from shore - unless you rappel down...

If you wanted to do something a little more advanced, Buddy Dive next door has the 3-tank Slagbaai Park adventure dive trip. Sign up early, it fills fast.

Most DM's freelance on the side also if asked. Some will ask you also. The "Bas's" referred to above are Bas Noij at VIPDiving or Bas Tol at BASDiving. I dove with Bas Noij (OB1) some years ago. He's a good guide. Both dive the more pristine - and rougher - East side. It's likely the only place you'll see bigger pelagics on Bonaire - not counting Tarpon or Stingrays.

Any other places you're going I've already been to? :rofl3:

Wow! Thanks for your info and advice Steve!

Any other places you're going I've already been to? :rofl3:
Don't know. I have my schedule pretty well organised for the next 3 years, after which time I plan to retire from diving.

July 2013 - Fiji - Island Dancer liveaboard
January 2014 - Cayman Islands - Cayman Aggressor liveaboard followed by Little Cayman Beach Resort
June 2014 - Bali & Komodo. Liberty Dive Resort followed by Mermaid II liveaboard
November 2014 - Raja Ampat - Seahorse liveaboard
May 2015 - Bonaire - The Habitat followed by Socorro on Rocio del Mar
October 2015 - PNG (Kimbe Bay etc) - FeBrina liveaboard
March-April 2016 - Bay Islands of Honduras. Liveaboard if one is operating; otherwise Laguna Beach Resort & Anthony's Key resorts.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for your info and advice Steve!

Don't know. I have my schedule pretty well organised for the next 3 years, after which time I plan to retire from diving.

July 2013 - Fiji - Island Dancer liveaboard
January 2014 - Cayman Islands - Cayman Aggressor liveaboard followed by Little Cayman Beach Resort
June 2014 - Bali & Komodo. Liberty Dive Resort followed by Mermaid II liveaboard
November 2014 - Raja Ampat - Seahorse liveaboard
May 2015 - Bonaire - The Habitat followed by Socorro on Rocio del Mar
October 2015 - PNG (Kimbe Bay etc) - FeBrina liveaboard
March-April 2016 - Bay Islands of Honduras. Liveaboard if one is operating; otherwise Laguna Beach Resort & Anthony's Key resorts.

That is pretty amazing actually. Most of us who are able to keep diving do not put a retirement date on our diving activities. I realize that this is now an old thread that I am reviving but I am fascinated by this statement. Diving is like sex, why would you stop doing it if you didn't have to??

That is pretty amazing actually. Most of us who are able to keep diving do not put a retirement date on our diving activities. I realize that this is now an old thread that I am reviving but I am fascinated by this statement. Diving is like sex, why would you stop doing it if you didn't have to??

It is a well thought out decision related to my personal circumstances. I am a fit man for my age but in November 2015 I'll turn 60 and promised my wife that I'll retire from diving soon afterwards. We have quite a few land based places to visit around the world the plans for which were postponed when I took up diving in 2006. At that point I made that promise to my wife because we cannot afford to dive as well as do those other things. Furthermore, I plan to retire from work in 2018 and by then want to have visited all the land places that we planned too. Our post-retirement plans do not fit in very well with them.

BTW, I will NOT be staying at the Habitat in Bonaire. Plans changed. I will be at the Blachi Koko Apartments and using VIP Divers for all my dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom