Getting this board started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi--

I have done both, but don't think anyone can answer that but you. More of a question of the soul than a question of the dive.

While pentetrating the larger &/or deeper wrecks involves the a lot of same planning, dive skills, focus and discipline as does caving, I don't find the experience to be at all the same. Diving thru the historical wrecks, especially those that are also gravesites is to me an equally moving, but qualatatively different experience. To me anything man-made cannot equal the grandeur of probing the barren insides of our earth--truely caverns measureless to man.

I guess maybe I just need to train in that direction and try more of both. I really, really like that cavern and those caves though!

Anyone else?????

Cave diving is simple. Three things to remember.
1. Know Thy Gear
2. Know the Rules
3. Know thyself

I cave dive because I can. A lot of people ask me why I cave dive ( about 12 dives per week). I started cave diving because a good friend told me I would grow as a wreck diver.
After the first 20 hours or so in a cave I began to really enjoy the relaxing pace of cave diving. Being that I will never go into space, cave diving is as close as I will ever come to being weightless in a 3 dimensional environment with confined boundaries.

If you can tell someone why you cave dive, you shouldn't be cave diving.

Watergal sums it up.

Man is historic, mother nature is PHENOMENAL

Oh really? Do you have any specific information you could send me?

Mike

Bob,

Along with Lost Yooper, please pass any informaton you may have on those caves to me. A system that size so close to home would be outstanding. Have you dove it yet?

-Brady

Well, I don't think the cavers are nuts but I know I wouldn't want to do it. I do like caverns although the only ones I've been in were at Ginnie Springs and Vortex Springs. I've been in several dry "wild" caves and have been able to face and temporarily defeat my claustrophobia by closing my eyes and visualizing a wide open space but I wouldn't want to have to manage scuba as well as my claustrophobia. I think I'll stick to watching shows about cave diving it does look like an amazing experience!

Ber :bunny:

OK folks, here's the scoop.
The cave system was first "discovered" back in the 1800s when wreckage from a ship appeared bayside the day after it sank on Lake Michigan. Folks thought there was another wreck in the Bay, but there weren't any ships missing, and the wreckage was soon identified as coming from the wreck in the lake.
The time needed for wreckage to find it's way around the peninsula would be closer to a week than overnight.
The caves were eventualy found when a search for a missing fisherman resulted in one of the searchers almost being lost when the surge & current slurped him into the hole. There are strong currents that can come up very abruptly & even change direction in a matter of minutes, making the idea of diving the cave a verrry bad prospect.
It's located at Cave Point (where else?) :wink:
There are several other caves that are not submerged in Door County. All of them are on private property with access restricted.
One system has a short swim through that is sometimes not flooded, opens up into a cavern with a small waterfall on the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom