Getting this board started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got into it because the things I want to see are deeper than recreational depths. I like the physiology and equipment aspects and the structure and discipline that is required.

I agree with Roakey, technical diving should be about reducing risk not the other way around. A good technical diver doing a 250' wreck dive is at much less risk than most of the recreational divers I've seen.

The people that scare me are the ones who place all their confidence in a dive shop that sells cheezy gear or in an instructor that belongs to an agency that advocates or teaches utterly dangerous practices for the sole purpose of filling their own greedy pockets. There's nothing worse or potentially dangerous than being taught misleading information and being held to the lowest possible standards.
I'll dive with anyone of similar philsophy and knowledge base who has taken the time to learn (and apply it) from truly knowledgable people. Plastic certification cards mean next to nothing to me. I'm far more interested in their actual knowledge, philosophy, willingness to keep learning, and quality experience (basically in that order too).

Take care.

Mike

I always thought "Why would anyone want to dive in a cave"? - very little life, no history like a wreck and the old saying "dive in a cave, die in a cave". But then I wonder why I like scuba diving so damn much and I can't explain it....it just grabs my imagination. Ever since I was 3 and swam around the living room in my p.js with a clock strapped to my back(tank) and a peice of string hanging out of my mouth(regulator) all the while watching Sea Hunt or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. So it must be the same thing with the cavers.

So, I don't wonder why people do anything anymore. If they like it that's fine-as long as it doesn't scare the horses in the streets(old saying there). I would like to dive in a cave someday but it's not on my top 10 dives. Cenotes are on the top ten - but that's so I can get a gold and jewel encrusted necklace.

Bob3-
I would be very very happy with pottery items and bones!!!!. I once stummbled upon a "dump" in a creek in nothern MN. I found all sorts of stuff from the 1920 and -1930s - cream pitchers, old bottles of what look like different medicine, and an all metal toy submarine. It wan't much, but it was great fun.

I am going to rent a metal detector this year and do a "sweep" of a local bars dock area. I am really excited about that. I bet I'll find a jewel encrusted gold necklace there.

Bob3

You said

Interesting picture you painted "swimming around in the living room in yer PJs".

Hell, look at my profile photo. I'm STILL doing that, but now the equipment is real.

Mike

"Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you can survive
the odds beating you."

Hey Buff,
I thought I was the only kid that played like I was Mike Nelson. Do you think anyone else will admit to it? :tree:Bob

Bob-

"Mike Nelson" now there was a MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

My other favorite was "Primus". Did you ever watch that one?

Yeah Boy.:thumb:Mike Nelson whipped more attackers underwater ( they ALL had knives) than any other man in history. Yeah, Baby!

Buff: Never watched Primus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom