Getting to Akumal from Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petra

Reaction score
Ok, I've looked at various websites and searched this forum. I may be more confused now than when I started. Has anyone recently made the trip from the Cancun airport to Akumal? If so, how did you do it and what did it cost?

I do not want to rent a car if I can avoid it, so that leaves buses and taxis. Some sites say to take a taxi because it's only $30USD each way. Others say taxis are too expensive, use a bus. But they didn't say where to catch the bus or how much it cost. Some say the bus goes non-stop to akumal from the airport. Others say you have to change in either Playa del Carmen or Tulum.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

There is a bus directly from the airport to Playa del Carmen, then you could take a taxi, or transfer onto another bus, this is probably the cheapest easiest way unless you can find one of the transfer vans going down the riviera maya.

thats the scoop - you'll find the buses at the far end of Terminal 2 where most flights come in - if you come in at Terminal 1 there is a shuttle. They are basically hourly between 0800 and 1800, inexpensive, around 40 pesos and very comfortable and you will change in Playa.

Thank you both for the information. Do either of you know the cost for the cab from Playa del Carmen to Akumal? The budget is going to be tight this year so I don't want too many surprises.

Also, do you have any recommendations on where to stay or which op to dive with? I've been looking at Vista Del Mar. Looks very nice and the price is good. Is it near town?

Thanks again.

Mark

Double ditto. I agree with the above posts that a bus is the cheapest way, but I would stop at Olympus or American Express booths at the exit of the airport. These companies run the vans (mostly to the hotel zone) but a few run down the coast.

While a van service may be a few dollars more than a bus it will still be cheaper than taking a taxi all by yourself as with the van you will probably share the ride with a few other people.

The only reason I would do this is because you will most likely have a lot of luggage on top of your gear. It is more convenient to not have to get out of the bus then find and load a taxi then go to your hotel. The van stops right at each person's hotel and drives you right up to the entrance. I would pay the few extra dollars for the convenience. Plus I don't have to wait an hour for the next bus. But any of the methods mentioned will get you there. I noticed you mentioned the bus from Cancun Airport. If you ever plan to stay in Cancun or plan to travel to Cancun from further down the coast, the bus station is located in the downtown section of Cancun about a five minute ride from the road leading to the northern part of the hotel zone.

I'm jealous! I've got 4 more months to wait before I can go back. Enjoy your trip.

Check out www.cenotes.com for Aquatech Dive Shop and Villa DeRosa. If you book with them, they will pick you up at the airport. They also have an electric compressor which is a wise choice right now in that area.

Also, after you claim your baggage and make the run through customs, you will be ASSAULTED by every bus and taxi driver there is in Cancun. You can't move without being practically assaulted by them after you go outdoors....before you get outdoors all the rental companies are calling to you....literally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom