Getting to Cozumel from Cancun...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to plan a solo 4 to 5 day dive trip to Cozumel for sometime after Labor Day. I had originally planned to go last year, but Wilma and "teenager problems" forced the cancellation of my plans.

I need to use some of my US Airways Dividend Miles for this trip, but found that US Air no longer flies into Cozumel (per their website). As a result it looks like I will have to fly from Pittsburgh into Cancun, then take the bus and ferry over. Any tips from those who have experience with that routing? How reliable is the transportation, and their schedules. Also any idea as to costs?

My previous trip would have had me staying at Villa Blanca (Superior room), and diving with Papa Hogs. I plan on making the same arrangements, unless there is reason to make a change. Thanks for any and all input.

The Riviera Bus (80 pesos, departs 45 min past the hour) seems to do a good job of sticking to their schedule. The bus is clean, comfortable and air conditioned. Post-Wilma, the ferry is not so good at keeping a schedule. I've made 3 trips and each time the next posted departure from Playa did not go because not enough tickets had been sold, or a ferry wasn't available because they are being used to tender cruise passengers in Cozumel. But, waiting an hour on the beach in Playa isn't so bad. It still beats a delay waiting for a connecting flight in an airport.

Yep, everything scubawife said matched my experiences doing this recently. Let me also recommend you hire one of the tri-cyclists who park outsides the bus depot in Playa. They have a big carry on basket and will carry your luggage the few blocks you'll need to cover to get to the ferry pier. I think I paid them a few bucks for their services and it was a very helpful. I believe the bus ride was around 45 minutes with one brief stop between Cancun and Playa. We've always lucked out on the ferry schedule and were able to get right on the boat immediately. Ferry times seem to vary from 25 to 45 mintues depending on sea conditions. All in all, I really prefer flying direct to Coz as it's much more convenient. But yeah, post Wilma, I'm certainly willing to do the Cancun run if it means saving a few bucks and getting the dates and times I want.

Good Luck.

Mark

this is a great link for info on the bus/ferry route from Cancun. I did it 3 days ago and it was fine. I do prefer the direct to Cozumel but I just can't seem to find a reasonable ticket these days. 1 hr from the airport and 35 min on the ferry. The bus schedule seems to link up well with the ferry also. They leave the airport at about 35 min past the hour so it works to make the next ferry.

http://home.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Scuba/Cozumel/Aug2001/CancunCozumel.htm

My experiences are a couple years old (2003 & 2004) so take this with a grain of Salt.

I have done the bus & ferry route twice to Cozumel and I like it.

As stated, the bus departs at :45 and they seem pretty dependable. Bring a snack or something to read in case you don't like the movie or you don't like subtitles. I bought the one-way tickets to PDC inside the terminal for about $8 both times.

Once in PDC, it is a short walk down to the ferry pier. In the past there have been a number of booths offering to sell you ferry tickets. I think I bought a round trip once and one-ways the other time. The round trip was slightly cheaper, but make sure that you don't misplace your return ticket.

The first time I went I was stuck on a slow old diesel ferry that stunk up the air. The other times it has been just fine. (I am too lazy to search for ScubaBoard threads where I described this in more detail)

When you arrive in Cozumel, there were always a line of taxis waiting to take people to their accomodations. Confirm a price BEFORE you get in the taxi.

----

When it is time to return home, plan carefully. Allow plenty of time "just in case". The ferry from Cozumel to PDC was fine for me each time, but that was pre-Wilma.

When you arrive in PDC, it is a short walk up the hill to the bus terminal. There are usually a bunch of buys offering to schlep your bags up the hill for you for a couple bucks. Let your budget and your energy level make your decision. Also there are usually a few guys trying to get people to take their shuttle vans back to Cozumel Airport. For a group it may be cost effective, but probably not for a solo traveler.

At the bus terminal, it has always been cheaper to buy using Pesos rather than dollars (65 pesos or $8 in 2003 & 2004) so I make sure to keep some pesos.

The return to the airport is usually uneventful. *fingers crossed*

I have done the bus & ferry routine because it was about $200 airfare to Cancun than to Cozumel. My buddy (one trip) said the bus / ferry was okay on the way there, but it was becoming tedious on the return trip. I just consider it another part of the adventure. YMMV.

Wristshot

Wristshot:
When you arrive in PDC, it is a short walk up the hill to the bus terminal. There are usually a bunch of buys offering to schlep your bags up the hill for you for a couple bucks. Let your budget and your energy level make your decision. Also there are usually a few guys trying to get people to take their shuttle vans back to Cozumel Airport.

Cancun Airport, mebbe? ;^)

wmspdi:
My previous trip would have had me staying at Villa Blanca (Superior room), and diving with Papa Hogs. I plan on making the same arrangements, unless there is reason to make a change. Thanks for any and all input.

Just got back from a solo, and can't say enough about SI time at the Barracuda. As a couple, we've stayed at AI's, but as a solo all I wanted was "clean and cheap."
Turns out, I got clean, quiet, good a.c., plus a new swim-up bar and a pier where most everyone will pick up- all for $45 USD a night. I called ahead, told them what I would spend (rack rate was $54) and they agreed.
Far from an expert on what's hot and what's not on Coz, It really felt like the new (post Wilma) pool bar has become THE place for ex-pats and the like to hang for wi-fi, chess, cards, good conversation and cheap beers ($2!)
They seem to police the front pretty hard, chasing off anyone that even looks like they came off a cruise ship.
After some of the pix I took of the "local talent" hanging around the pool, I'm pretty certain my bride will recommend alternative lodging should I go solo again. ;->
Ask for a room on the north end (away from the bar and xm radio tunes 'till 2+am, preferrably up top.
Rock 'n Java's just up the street and it's an easy walk toward all the good restaurants.
We're going back in Dec. and the place we're staying, El Cantil, is right next door- and I predict my 20-something sons will probably log MANY hours at the Barracuda.
Not a bad place to roll out of bed, onto the pier and down to the dive boat day after day after day after day... enjoy!
Craig-

Back
Top Bottom