getting used to wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8fulr2

Reaction score
just got my first wet suit today. It fits great just seems to make movement a tad more rigid. Any advice on how to get used to it? Do they loosen up in water?

To get used to it, Go diving.

W

Seriously. You probably don't want to wander around the house wearing your wetsuit hoping to "break it in".

Yes, it should feel more comfortable once you are in the water. The layer of water between the suit and your skin will allow the suit to 'move' into place.

Pee in it.

[just kidding]

Just got my first wetsuit too! Getting it wet this weekend!

Best thing to do is go to the pool and find out it effects your buoyancy and what you need to do from trim. It helps to have a freind along to move your weights around, and also tell you if your floating feet down or head down.

Diving with your wetsuit will accustom you to how it feels and fits and it will also break the suit in. Like any rubber, the more you use it, the more flexible it becomes. Over time your suit will become so comfortable that you won't want to get a new one when your suit has worn out.

hazmat1800:
Best thing to do is go to the pool and find out it effects your buoyancy and what you need to do from trim. It helps to have a freind along to move your weights around, and also tell you if your floating feet down or head down.

I couldn't agree more if you have not taken it to the pool do so. The worst dive I ever had I went from a 5mm fullsuit to a 7mm two-piece. It took me thirty minutes in the quarry to figure out how much weight I needed to add then thread it through the weight belt. When I got my new hyperstretch I got smarter and hit the pool first 10 minutes and I was set.

As you wear the suit it will stretch and shift and slide until it feels like an old pair of jeans, just give it some time.

Back
Top Bottom