Getting wet gear home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kronek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How does everyone get their gear home from a dive when its wet? Do you just throw it in a gear bag and that keeps your car from getting wet?

Ive got a hatchback and would really prefer to keep my car as dry as possible. I was thinking of getting a plastic container that holds everything and useing that until I get home and can throw it all in the tub to rise/dry.

For that matter, any clever tricks for drying gear? I saw a hanger that had a fan that blew down the neck of the wetsuit drying it out faster. Good idea? Bad idea? Scam?

Rubbermaid Totes, more here.

No dryer will work in the time you need to bring it home fey. Once home and rinsed I let it dry naturally in the dive locker with a general purpose room fan to keep air moving. If I get to go again before it's dry I have no qualms about getting into damp gear.

The dry suits do have a blower system to aggressive dry the insides.

Pete

Big plastic box, with lid.

I used to use a giant mil-spec SF drybag, but you probably won't find stuff like that for sale easily.

I use a big plastic tote, similiar to Rubbermaid. However, it doesn't have enough space for everything, and besides would get very heavy. So what I do is I put a shower curtain down in my hatch back area, put my backplate/wing probably with a bunch of stuff clipped to it, and weights on the right side of the area, and the plastic container on the left. I do try to get a fresh water rinse before packing the car, and then at home do a thorough job of it and dry it properly.

btw, with shower curtains laid in the hatch area and on the seats, I have carried full gear, including doubles, and divers back from a dive pre-fresh-water rinse.

I found a plastic trunk with lockable lid and wheels on one end. It works great for both transporting and storing my gear between dives

I've seen one diver use a "Turtle Topper" on attached roof racks with the tanks in the back of the vehicle. It gave him more room inside the vehicle. Really just can't beat a pick up truck though!

I have to agree that a Rubbermaid container is the best way to get wet gear home on a long drive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344805925.122084.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344805942.508224.jpg

In some cases I will partially fill it with soapy water to keep it wet till it can be properly air-dried.

I've used a large Rubbermaid container, an Action Packer, and in a pinch a large 30gal plastic bag. All work and keep the vehicle dry, I'm sure anything large enough and waterproof will work, it just has to fit in the vehicle. Yes, pickup trucks are better.

Bob
----------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Too bad I cant afford a second car :p. And with gas hitting 1.33 a liter here last week, a truck would empty the diving fund quick. Good idea on the shower curtain, I'll have to pick one up soon. As well as emptying one of the totes I moved with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom