Getting wet in N Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinalo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone, Nice to be here. I think I've gotten into this sport sort of backwards. Did most of my Padi OW pool and class work in Kona and now have to do my last two OW dives in N. California to get my cert. I'm looking forward to California diving despite the cold.

Here's a question for you Monterey divers: are you warm enough in a 7mm one-piece wet suit, or do you prefer two-piece farmer-johns with a step-in top? I'm not sure what to rent for my last two cert dives next week. TIA

I went with Jack's Diving Locker because they'd been recommended by a friend, and it was walking distance from our hotel. I think they were pretty good, but maybe a little expensive, though over there probably everyone is expensive.

Hi Hinalo,

Welcome to Norcal. What's considered adequatae exposure protection varies widely from person to person. If you go to the regional Norcal forum you'll find a few discussions on this. If you're someone that doesn't get cold easy you might be OK in a one-piece 7mm. Farmer Johns are more common (I think) around here among those that aren't diving dry. Hope to see you in Monterey.

Regards,
John

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Welcome to Scubaboard... Here's the Nor Cal section... there's some great info on local Monterey diving and dive reports... Feel free to PM or post if you need some loval wisdom.

Welcome to California!

I'm 6'4" 250 with a one piece 7mm BARE w/ attached hood (I think it's the alpine), and if it's under 50d, I'm a little cold. Over 50d isn't really noticeable. I'm a newbie though, so I might not notice the cold as much, with all the other stuff going on. I haven't tried using a vest w/ it.

Hey Jason Ooi,

How do you fit all that cool dive gear in your fine looking car?

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and the pointer to NorCal. And thanks to Randolphscott, that's just the feedback I was looking for.

Welcome to SB and to No Cal diving. I'll echo what the others said. I used a 7mm farmer john when doing my certs. I then bought an ONiell J-type 7mm with an integrated 5mm vest. I've never been cold on a dive with either of the two, haven't tried a straight 7mm step in yet. That said, I'm very likely going dry. I found a deal on a DUI CF200 that was too good to pass up. Got it in the mail todayand it seems like it'll be a winner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom