Hello from Northern New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMS11

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello from NortherN NJ. New to ScubaBoard.

Got my OW certification in 1999 in St. John USVI and have been a on again/off again tropical diver since then. Have had a very long (15+ years!) surface interval with only rare diving to raise twin boys who are now 16. One of my boys just got his OW certification on a recent April ‘23 dive trip to Cozumel with the family so we have gotten back into diving with a PADI ReActivation and 10 dives (the other boy got seasick and only completed 1 of his OW dives. Trying to encourage him to finish so we can dive as a family.)

Last trip previously was to the cenotes in MX 4-5 years ago. Just planned another trip to St. Lucia for 20th anniversary with wife where we are going to dive out of Soulfriere. Also just completed Enriched Air cert. and have started AOW with our LDS. Looks like the in water dives for AOW may be in Lake Hydra in PA (or Lake George if Lake Hydra doesn’t open up this year.)

As someone just getting back into diving discovering ScubaBoard has been a great resource. It helped with the purchase of new computers for my wife and me and in planning our upcoming trip to the Caribbean. Very glad to be here.

Welcome to SB and welcome back to diving.

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary. That is a beautiful achievement. Now don't ruin it with too much diving and scuba equipment purchases.

Congrats on your anniversary and diving with your family, I am in a very similar situation with 1 son complete and 1 still needing that last checkout dive. How did you enjoy the cenote diving in Mexico? It looks amazing, will look into diving with Under the Jungle sometime next year.

Congrats on your anniversary and diving with your family, I am in a very similar situation with 1 son complete and 1 still needing that last checkout dive. How did you enjoy the cenote diving in Mexico? It looks amazing, will look into diving with Under the Jungle sometime next year.
Thank you. The cenotes were interesting (and very cold in 3mm suits.) No marine life to observe and a dramatic thermocline. The light is dramatic and would have made for good photos if we had had a camera. Some overhead situations made this OW diver uncomfortable so we did not visit interior caverns. Stalagtites/stalagmites were interesting to see. Some of them were a long walk from the parking lot with your gear and being suited up. I don't think I need to dive them again but am glad to have dived them once.

The cenotes truly are the gateway to the underworld. Especially if you go past one of those signs.

Welcome to SB and congrats on getting back into diving! If you are interested in joining a club (e.g. if you want to dive locally), check out the Big Apple Divers aka Sea Gypsies. They meet once a month in NYC, invite speakers and charter boats for local diving.

Welcome to SB and congrats on getting back into diving! If you are interested in joining a club (e.g. if you want to dive locally), check out the Big Apple Divers aka Sea Gypsies. They meet once a month in NYC, invite speakers and charter boats for local diving.
Thank you NYC. I will look into it.

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom