Getting wrecked with Wookie and Netdoc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who was thinking about this trip, and then passed, really missed out. We had 6 staff caring for just 10 divers. Captain Frank, Mate Tim, DMs Mel and Jess, and galley staff Anna and Stephanie were all just phenomenal. The boat was wonderful to dive from and the food was fantastic.

Four of us were doing recreational dives and six were doing light tech or a mix with recreational dives. My son and I did 4 dives on the Spiegel Grove, 2 dives on the Duane, 2 dives on the Eagle, 2 dives on the Thunderbolt, 2 dives on the Adolphus Busch, and 3 dives on the Vandenberg in our four days of diving. I had dived the Spiegel Grove and the Duane before but all the others were new to me. I particularly want to dive the Vandenberg again as 3 dives were simply inadequate.

I'm grateful to Pete and Elena for organizing this wonderful trip. I've wanted to do the Florida Keys wreck trek for a long time and this trip certainly did not disappoint. I look forward to my next trip on the M/V Spree.

Good diving, Craig

This was a really great trip. This is my narrative from an Undercurrent review I submitted today. It was wonderful diving with Pete and Elena, Ivan and Vanessa, Maureen, John, Jax, and Craig. PM me with any questions.

Good diving, Craig

I have wanted to do the Florida Keys wreck trek for a long time and finally got my opportunity on a trip aboard the M/V Spree, organized by Pete and Elena from ScubaBoard. The experience on the Spree exceeded my expectations.

The Spree is a pleasure to live and dive from. The Spree is a 100 foot aluminum crew boat, refitted for diving. The dive deck is extremely well laid out. It has tank racks and under seat storage for each diver. Tanks are filled in place, 32% nitrox was included in the trip, and was within tenths of a percent of target the entire time. Divers analyzed their gas and tank pressure prior to each dive and recorded it in a logbook. There was a large camera table, dedicated camera rinse tanks, gear rinse tanks, and 2 hot water showers on the deck. There is a large swim platform and two very sturdy ladders. The main salon includes the galley, the dining room, and a large charging station. The accommodations are not luxurious but are very comfortable. Bunks are available in 4 bed units as well as in an open area. My son and I had a lower and upper bunk in one of the units and found it very pleasant and cozy. We had no trouble sleeping after the 4 dives per day. There is a large and comfortable sun deck on the upper level. There are 4 restrooms including 2 off the salon, 1 off the dive deck with a shower, and 1 off the lower level, also with a shower. There was unlimited hot water. The boat is designed to carry up to 24 passengers and up to 8 crew. We were very lucky to have only 10 divers and 6 crew, a real luxury. The entire staff, Captain Frank, 2nd Captain Tim, DMs Mel and Jess, and galley staff, Anna and Stephanie were absolutely excellent. The food was uniformly excellent and beer and wine were included after diving for the day was done.

We boarded the boat in Key West on Sunday night, got a detailed briefing, and were then free to move into our room for a good night sleep while cruising up to Key Largo. At each site, we were moored to a ball and had a current line from the descent line to the stern of the boat. The current line was not only a good idea, but was really needed on many of the dives. Mel and Jess ran a tight dive deck, everything was always ready for a smooth dive. The trip was a rec/tec trip, 4 of us did rec dives and the others did light tec or a combination of tec and rec. There were 2 dive windows per day of 4 hours duration, generally 8-12 and 2-6. In our 4 days, we did 4 dives on the Spiegel Grove, 2 dives on the Duane, the one buoy at the Bibb was occupied so did 2 dives at the Eagle, 2 dives at the Thunderbolt, 2 dives on the Adolphus Busch, and 3 dives on the Vandenberg. The diving was fantastic though the visibility in the northern keys was certainly better than in the South. The boat had 4 weighted down lines at the stern, one with an auxiliary reg, these were frequently the best places for the safety stop considering the current. I had dived the Spiegel Grove and Duane before, I am really looking forward to a return to the Vandenberg, as 3 dives was entirely inadequate to explore this huge wreck. The opportunity to dive the Eagle, Thunderbolt, and Adolphus Busch was most appreciated.

After this tremendous experience, I’m looking forward to my next trip on the Spree. The Dry Tortugas trip is very attractive. Captain Frank is working hard to organize a trip to Cuba, that, I would do, in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm sure that Wookie et al really appreciates them!

The Spree is a super-awesome, comfortable divers’ ship. Every comfort for the diver is available. You sleep, eat, dive, dive, eat, talk poo, dive, dive, eat, share pictures, talk poo, and sleep. Naps are good! Everything a diver could want is here.

This is not one of those luxury-accommodation, have your own cabin, lamps, art on the walls, and pay excessively for types of liveaboards. Thank God, Frank, and Mel.

All the bunks are stacked two high. The four-person cabin has four bunks (Duh) and a curtain to the outside. Each bunk has its own privacy curtains and a most-excellent dimmable reading light. There is also a cargo net on the wall into which you can put ‘stuff’ like a cell phone. I do not recommend dropping in glasses – put an earpiece through one of the top holes and they won’t get spaghetti’d.

Under the bottom bunk is a ~two-foot high space and each person gets half. You can stack two suitcases and stack two dive bags and still not fill up your half. The bunks are comfortable and you have a blanket. Most people find it supremely comfortable. I am not most people. I am from AZ and like 84◦. Wookie helpfully suggested I bring a sleeping bag. I slept in a -30 degree British Army sleeping bag. Normal people slept in shorts and a t-shirt.

We have a chef and a galley helper, who is cheerfully referred to as the “galley wench” if she is female. Their job is to provide meals and munchies all day long. Warning: do not avail yourself of everything offered unless you want to really struggle into your wetsuit after day One! If you have a special diet, please let them know. This is not JUST because they want to meet all your needs (which they do!), but is also because boats have to be provisioned and your failure to mention your diet could cause imbalances.

The Spree has a boat cat; her name is Bearing. Her function is to be worshipped by the Cat People on board and ignored by everyone otherwise. She performs her functions magnificently.

The ship has two Captains, a day Captain and a night Captain. Do not disturb the sleeping Captain ever.

The Boat Mistress is Melanie, fondly known as Mel. Do not mess with the boat mistress. Mel takes the safety of the boat and the lives aboard very seriously. If you are lucky, you will see her dry wit and smooth pokes come by. :wink: That said, she runs an extra-ordinarily well-organized ship! The tank gets filled as soon as you are back from your dive and remove your reg. You will analyze your tank and note that and its pressure in a log. Mel gives the dive briefs on the sites and notes the issues that may be on the site. Mel knows everything. :hugs: Respect! Mel has "a heavier Captain's License" than Frank . . . .

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:23 PM ----------
About the diving – Florida Wreck Trek

I don’t know how, but it seems this trip got the erroneous moniker of “semi-tec” or something. I am saddened, because it really was a trip for an Advanced Open Water diver. I say Advanced, only because of the depth. Generally, you would be 80 to 100 feet. For the tec divers, those that were certified did penetrate the depth, or go to the sand at 140’, but overall, this is a great trip for the Advanced Open Water diver who is ready to flex his or her skills. Unfortunately, the attendance was sparse and an opportunity lost for spectacular dives.

These are the wrecks on which we dove:

Spiegel Grove https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Spiegel_Grove_(LSD-32)
Adolphus Busch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Adolphus_Busch
USCGC Duane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Duane_(WPG-33)
USNS Vandenberg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_General_Hoyt_S._Vandenberg_(T-AGM-10)

We were supposed to dive the Bibb, but someone took one of her two balls. You heard it here first, folks. :wink:

What is super-cool about a liveaboard is that you dive. There is no “show up at the boat, take 30-60 minutes to load, take 30-60 minutes to get there, double dip, and your day is done. You dive, you take notes on what you want to see, you dive again, and again, and as you sleep or eat, you steam for another wreck.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:26 PM ----------

Four-Dip on the Spiegel Grove

Due to the mixed divers, tec and rec, the Spree maintained a “pool is open” schedule of 8-12 and 2-6 generally. That allowed those diving more conservatively (“recreational limits&#8221:wink: to dive twice in the morning, and twice in the afternoon. The tec divers could run longer times.

I adore these wrecks. I could happily sit on them for several days so I could explore them fully. Our conditions were marvelous – glass-flat seas and currents less than 1.5 knots. Mostly 1 knot or less. You do a hand-over-hand down the current and drop line to the wreck. Mel placed an SMB that said “Spree” on the mooring to which we were hitched, so we would always be sure we were on the correct line going up. I can imagine what led to that procedure. :doh:

I chose to not penetrate (I am certified) and to not take a camera. I have noticed that a camera tends to make memories of photo-shots, while just diving makes incredible whole-picture memories. The Spiegel Grove is a massive ship. Due to the currents, my ship-buddy and I stayed on the lee side. We were handicapped by the two weeks of previous diving I’d done, as my Petrel was giving me shortened NDL (non-decompression limit) dives. Our dives were 40-60 minutes each of the four dives. Max depths ranged from 130 to 88, but average was around 70 fsw. The vis was better on the bottom at about 40 feet.

Sadly, the water temperature at depth was 83 Petrel, 84 Sol. It got only warmer during our trip, and at 85F, coral begins bleaching. :(

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:27 PM ----------

Day Two: Double-Dip on the Duane

This ship was my second wreck ever, and I was so happy to see her again. We did not have the steller 100’ clear water, zero current of my first visit, but it was an awesome dive anyway. This time, I was able to go deeper as the first time, my insta-buddy was limited. My ship-buddy had this thing about propellers, so he visited as many as he could. I would not do overhead – If you are going to embrace the standard, embrace the standard. I wasn’t equipped properly, so I wasn’t going in. It was hard . . . it is so easy to say, “just this once”, and it is so easy to get into trouble that way. But if you are trained – these are awesome wrecks to park on!!!!

This wreck brought back hilarious memories . . . those who attended the "ScubaBoard Invades the Keys" of 2009 will remember!

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:29 PM ----------

Day Two, Afternoon – The Eagle

Cap’n Wookie comes into the mess and says, “The Bibb is booked – we need to call it now – do you want to go to the Eagle?” What happened was that someone took the 2nd of two mooring balls off the Bibb – one assumes for repair – and that the other mooring ball had a ‘tenent’. Off to the Eagle we went!

I love this wreck. I want a four-dipper on this wreck!

The vis was less – about 30 feet. This massive wreck is on her side, broken in the middle. The rest of it is just a shadow in the visibility – are you jumping into nothingness, or is there really the rest of the ship there? Thanks to Mel’s great brief, we knew the rest of the ship was there, but it was SO difficult to perceive the massiveness and breadth of beam of this ship in the ‘fuzzy fog’. My buddy went to the props & rudder . . . I held above him per agreement so that I would not incur the nitrogen loading so much. We then explored the catawampus structure on the way back. The anchor chain for this beast was incredibly massive – had the vis and my photography skills been better, I’d have brought the camera! What a great dive!

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:30 PM ----------

Day Three – The Thunderbolt & the Busch in the afternoon

I hate to say it – these two wrecks did not significantly affect me to create memories. :facepalm: Well, maybe the cable ship.
The Thunderbolt was an Army cable ship, and so has different and therefore more interesting structure to swim about. It was the USS Randolph and laid mines during WWII.

The Busch is a cargo ship. Both were well-cleaned up to become diveable wrecks.

By this point, my ship-buddy was longingly looking at a father-son pair and their long runtimes. I suggested he dive with them, then, as I am solo certified and I was unwilling to make my trips more aggressive after three weeks of average 80-100 feet of diving.

I am very grateful to the Spree crew for their support to the properly trained and certified Solo divers. :thumb:

I will also admit to pulling a groin muscle while (I think) doing a squat into my wetsuit. I’m telling you, man; you just cannot play “pig at the trough” with all the good food this ship provides!!! :wink: Okay, yes; I am blaming my age on the Spree's food.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

Day Four – Triple-dip the Vandenberg!!!!

I LOVE this ship, because my first exposure to it was as a class-B (maybe) science-fiction flick.
The ship received its most public exposure when cast as a Russian science ship in "Virus," a 1999 motion picture starring Jamie Lee Curtis, William Baldwin and Donald Sutherland.

The Vandy is the first wreck I dove. Unfortuantely, it was in a group scenario where we were all motioned to the surface after 15 minutes. :(

It was sad to see the passages of time have caused the satellite dishes to fall apart. Still, it was like visiting an older, if a bit more decrepit, friend. Since I was solo, I could take my time spiraling from the deck up the superstructure, and peering into every nook and cranny. I found a nursery! Arrow crabs that could fit legs and all on a dime. Spiral snail shells not as long as my pinky nail is wide, jerkily moving on a seam – a Hermit Crab!!! Teeny little scorpion fish – do they really come in that size?!?!?! I love critters, and just held there, breathing, watching . . .

There are always Goliath Grouper on the Vandy, as are normally on the other wrecks. I seem to have done a darned fine job of avoiding them - :mad: - darn them!

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 07:32 PM ----------

Day is done

Sadly, the day was over and we docked at the end of Shrimp Road. The Spree family – crew and customers; we were family by then – normally meet for dinner afterwards. I had family matters, damnit, and after much teeth-clinching and responsibility-shredding, decided to skip out and head north. For those who wish it, they may stay a final night on the Spree to catch flights or rest before travels.

I’d like to thank the Spree for the tremendous time and support for this trip. I must make this at least an Annual event!

Last edited:
Great review Jax, refreshed my extremely fond memories of the trip. I'm glad we finally had the opportunity to meet, diving in both Boynton Beach and off the Spree. I look forward to diving with you again, maybe on a Spree trip to Cuba, if we are lucky

Good diving, Craig

Thank you both for the extremely kind, thoughtful, and insightful reviews. It is wonderful to read them, as it brings me a perspective that I don't see or sometimes forget, that of the person we're here for....

Thank you both for the extremely kind, thoughtful, and insightful reviews. It is wonderful to read them, as it brings me a perspective that I don't see or sometimes forget, that of the person we're here for....

You fooled me! I find you provided *everything* a diver would ever want!

Divers are never bored on the Spree. You are discussing dives, checking out pictures, listening to "war stories", keeping up a log, or catching up on sleep! (I was - love my naps!)

If you are on Facebook and not following the M/V Spree at https://www.facebook.com/pages/MV-Spree/41830547733 , you are missing out. I love their trip reports! Most of her fans were glued to her daily album of annual (?) maintenance as the big ship was painted, welded, ground (grinded?) . . . fascinating!

Great review Jax... one of the better ones I've read, and I've read a lot.

For those who don't know, the Speigel Grove has a cameo at the end of James Bond's "Thunderball" so the Vandy was not the only movie star on the trip. :D Also, the Bibb's second ball was taken by Mother Nature. There have been no funds to replace it as of yet. :(

I have to say that this was a very amenable group on this trip. A few different diving styles to be sure, but there was no snobbery, except of course by Bearing! In fact, I think the Wookster should hang a sign over the gang way; "No Posers!" Of course, he might not let me back on the ship with that, but I'll take my chances since I did pass the Bearing test.

I can't say I speak for the whole group, but I didn't hear a single gripe about the Spree or the crew. Vis wasn't always the greatest and we got blocked on one wreck, but everything went as planned. We slept, dove, ate, napped, dove some more, ate some more and repeated things every day. I got to make a number of new friends, gave some advice on shooting video and learned about the very same from the person I gave advice to. It was a collaboration on so many levels, and I loved it.

Vis wasn't always the greatest . . . .

:whatever:

Clarification - if you dive the Pacific Northwest, or Arizona's lakes, or most place's quarries, the vis was AWESOME!

If you dive Florida year around and 100'+ is your norm, then you think the vis wasn't the greatest.

:chuckle:

I was actually diving Hens 'n Chickens Reef yesterday and the vis was less than 20. We still saw lots of colorful critters and had lots of fun. IOW, we don't always have great vis down here and we're not afraid to admit it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom