Giant Stride in Doubles: Feel much different from single rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any tips for getting UP the ladder in doubles that differs from the usual (step on rung, lift with boat on a wave, etc.) This is the part that may bring some embarrassment! I'm gonna tip good and ask the crew person to stand by to haul my butt up via my harness or manifold (?)
I've been doing squats with a similar amount of weight so maybe it'll go better than anticipated...
It sounds like using an equipment line isn't an option on this boat. Hoping this'll end up in the worrying for nothing category :) Jeez. New experiences...an adventure in the making.

I wouldn't ask someone to haul me by the manifold... a tank valve maybe :wink:

Don't have them yank on the isolator :)

Any tips for getting UP the ladder in doubles that differs from the usual (step on rung, lift with boat on a wave, etc.) This is the part that may bring some embarrassment! I'm gonna tip good and ask the crew person to stand by to haul my butt up via my harness or manifold (?)
I've been doing squats with a similar amount of weight so maybe it'll go better than anticipated...
It sounds like using an equipment line isn't an option on this boat. Hoping this'll end up in the worrying for nothing category :) Jeez. New experiences...an adventure in the making.

Key thing - get your chest and body as CLOSE to the ladder as possible and STICK to it while climbing, especially in heavy sea conditions. If you stick out, the weight acts as torsion with the waves and will THROW you off. Take one rung at a time, one fin at a time. Get BOTH fins on a rung before going to the next. Take your time, don't hurry.

Your first steps after boarding are often the hardest. Be ready to brace or have someone to help you. Don't try to do it all the first time...

Have you done this in a pool or lake before trying the ocean?

Good luck!

IF possible prior to boarding the craft, doff any gear you can such as lights/cameras/deco cylinders, hand these items to the crew to secure. Also if in a dry suit close your exhaust valve off and add a 'little bit' of gas to your suit, this will allow for an easier range of climbing motion.

Jim, which operator are you going out with? Several of our local boats are quite familiar with doubles divers, and they stand by as you're climbing, ready to give a hoist where it's most needed.

Ladders vary, though. I find the Bandito ladders quite difficult. The best ladder I've climbed anywhere in doubles was the Diver's Choice boat up in Nanaimo. Wish I could clone that ladder and take it with me everywhere!

Luckily, for those others who are reading this, we really don't deal with seas in Puget Sound, or even much up in the San Juans. For us, it's just the challenge of walking straight up with 100 pounds or more on our backs. It's enough challenge for me!

Ladders vary, though. I find the Bandito ladders quite difficult. The best ladder I've climbed anywhere in doubles was the Diver's Choice boat up in Nanaimo. Wish I could clone that ladder and take it with me everywhere!

They seem particularly keen to get you in and out smoothly though. More so than any other boats I've been on...

But then, we're getting off track :)

Giant stride is no problem ... a back roll with two deco bottles can be ... interesting.

BTW - I assume you meant 40cf deco bottles ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What, not man enough to handle 40l bottles? :eyebrow:

I use the same set-up of a dolly...just love it....super strong and light wt., folds up for easy storage and saves your back!!!

Yep. I wanna get one. $35 at Walmart or Home Depot here.

Yep. I wanna get one. $35 at Walmart or Home Depot here.

Well worth every penny...early Christmas present maybe to yourself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom