Giant Stride with Fins or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do any of you jump in the water without your fins on? Here is why I ask. I have a friend that jumps in without. I always jump in with. We like to debate so please tell all. Thanks

For safety reasons, I would never consider going in with out them. Too many things can go wrong where you may need fins right away. BC failure and current come to mind.

Regards

With - giant stride or otherwise. Dun see any rationale to do so without.

Never, did never will. You may need them plus there is always the chance of losing one or both when trying to put them on. I also never take them off until I have a firm hold on the ladder.

Like the others, I say this is not a good "skill to practice". You run the risk of getting caught in a surface current which you need fins to fight OR you could very easily lose a fin which would also not be a good thing. Swimming in circles would get boring.

Do they give any reason for this. It seems like a somewhat dangerous practice to me.

I dropped in once wtihout the fins, only because I had failed to put them on or even take them with me. I hit the water pretty hard and almost lost my mask. Now, I had to swim back to the boat to retrieve them, pretty hard without fins. Luckily the DM realized what I had done, and threw them to me.

I can't think of a reason not to wear them in. I am sure someone can give a reason.

I almost always go in with my fins on my feet. Sometimes, I clear the area quickly and put them on in the water, it's really not a big deal. A couple of times (but not in over 20 years), I've gone in with no fins. Brain fart.

He gives many reasons. for example, when entering the water with double and a stage he thinks that there are to many places for fins to get hooked on thus tripping in the boat.

He gives many reasons. for example, when entering the water with double and a stage he thinks that there are to many places for fins to get hooked on thus tripping in the boat.

Having doubles and a stage is all the more reason to have your fins on, trying to swim in any current with doubles and a stage is not that easy without fins, add a drysuit and it gets even harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom