Gifted two Sherwood regs...which to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a brand new diver and was just gifted two older Sherwood regulators from a friend who no longer dives. One is a Maximus SRB3600 and the other is a Magnum, not sure of the specific model. I think they're from the 1990s but not sure.

Two questons:
  1. Is it worth getting one of these serviced, rather than spending money on a new regulator?
  2. If so, which would be the better one to get serviced and set up?
Links to photos:

Sherwood Maximus SRB3600
Sherwood Magnum (unknown model number)

Last edited:
I used the MagnuM for many years... same octo too.

Great regulator... took a beating over the years and kept on ticking.
Just know that it bubbles lightly out of the first stage purposely. So if your buddy tells you that you have an air leak, just let him know every thing is normal.
Also had the same spg too.

Your second Sherwood looks like a 5000 series. Big improvement over the 3000 series from a service standpoint. Either way, the Bellevue washers used to balance this piston are very ingenious. The advantage of the 5000 series is that the bleed filter is replaceable in the 5000 series, while a failure of the 3000 bleed requires replacing a hard to find piston.

In any case, what @hammet says is critical. A quick way to see if your regs are close to usable is to put them on a tank. Watch for the stream of bubbles from the little rubber grommet in the side of the first stage. Put a shot glass over the bubbles. It should fill from 1/2 to all the way full in one minute (13-30cc/min). If that happens, then the bleed filter is working well and service should be easy. If not, the most common cause was excess lubricant getting into the filter. That was a common error for techs unfamiliar with Sherwood. Unfortunately, it may then be unserviceable unless you can get parts. That is likely for the 5000, not so much for the 3000.

The primary second stage on the 5000 is pretty bullet-proof. Unfortunately, Sherwood has a much greater following on the East Coast. Let me know if you can't find someone to service them out here in CA. Your yellow octo is not such a great product, however. Would recommend switching one of the other seconds over to that set. But Sherwood is a solid design, and your photos look to show regs in good condition.

Cheers!

If I just needed one reg, I'd use the 5000 with the primary second of both sets and set the yellow seconds aside. I've only used one of the yellow seconds and was not impressed, but I haven't had a chance to work on one myself and try it.

I'd bet the 3000 works, I just got one with other items I wanted, just put it on a tank and it seems to work properly at first blush. If they have been taken care of and put up, the ones I've seen just get back to business. I've had one since '80 and it had one rebuild so when it needs work next I'm SOL. I just use it on my pony so it should last a while.

Bob

My wife is a reg Tech in Key West. She has no problems getting any parts for any of those regulators. She agrees with Bob DBF, junk the shadows and use the 5000 first stage with both primary second stages.

Those look much newer than mine. I bought a Magnum in 1983 and still dive with it so they get my vote for keeping them. I also acquired a Brut recently (same era) along with some other stuff and it looks like it's been in the water only once or twice, all the specs are right-on, and it breathes great.

Thanks, all, for the advice. I'll bring the Magnum in to my LDS for evaluation and service. Using the primary second stage from the Maximus to replace the Magnum octopus is an interesting idea...I may end up doing that but I'd like to try it out first. Would that give me better value from the Maximus vs trying to sell it intact, or hanging on to it as a spare?

Oh you don't want or need that old Maximus. Send it to me and I'll, uh, discard it for you. Oh, and those Shadows too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom