Gilboa Guinness Event (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kykajun

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody! Just wanted to post a little report on the Guinness Record attempt at Gilboa this past weekend.

First of all - to all the people who said it would be a CF --- not the case! Sure there were some issues and glitches, but overall it was an experience I'm glad I attended.

My wife and I towed our camper up there Friday night after work - so we were really late getting in - but there were volunteers still there at 10:15pm to show us where to park our camper and register. When we registered, we were assigned a specific lane and a Lane Shepherd, who was responsible for keeping track of the folks in their lane. There were 20 lanes overall - with lines laid out to mark the boundaries of each. Saturday afternoon, divers assembled at their assigned docks--I believe there were 5-7 docks, which each served 4-5 lanes. As we went down to the dock our names were checked off the list, along with our starting air pressure. Entry was giant stride, seated entry or steps. Once in the water we assembled with our lane shepherd and surface swam over to our respective lanes. It only took 30 minutes to get all 794 divers in the water and into their lanes. After that, a quick prayer, and a shotgun blast and we all submerged.

The goal was 20' for 20 minutes--that way no-one could dispute that it was a valid dive from a logging perspective. Sure, it was crowded - but man a sight to see! People hanging out on platforms, sitting on submerged cabin cruisers...My camping neighbors, who run a dive shop in Michigan played cards on the platform--they had little plastic playing cards that were neutrally buoyant -- Pretty cool!

Water temp was about what you would expect in a quarry. Vis at the beginning while we swam out to the lanes was 40+ feet (they had kept people off the bottom the day before). Of course once we submerged, it got pretty mucked up - but still no problems keeping track of your buddy, etc.

Local TV did a feature story on it, so that was cool. Life care air support was there, along with several ground medical rescue units--as well as drysuit rescue divers in each lane. So - it was very safe - no one had to use the air lift support. I only heard of one diver with some kind of mild heart issue that had to leave the water. Other than that, it went off without any safety hitches!

Bottom line -- we didn't break the record of 958 set in the Maldives in 2007. We had 794 - but this was in COLD water and there is no fresh water record. They're going to petition Guinness to see if they'll set up a fresh water record, so we will have set that one. This was their first attempt at the record and they have already started taking registrations for next year - same weekend in July (3rd). I'm going to register now - I hope to see some of you guys up there next year!

Thanks for the report. I was there also, and yes, there were some glitches and a few things that could be improved, but overall, I have no complaint about how it was done. It was a blast!! The whole process, once divers started getting in the water, till the time we surfaced (but not out of the water) was about 90 minutes, not 30.
However, the record set in the Maldives was actually 979, not 958.
For those of you who declined to participate this year, I encourage you to do it next summer. It really was a fun, fun experience overall, and not the organized chaos or CF many thought it would be.
Thanks for the report!

Last edited:
However, the record set in the Maldives was actually 979, not 958.
Thanks for the report!

Yeah, I think there is some discrepancy on the numbers, 'cause I've heard both of them--anyway, we were well short --

but we'll get 'em next year!

David I am gonna agree with you!!! It was a blast!!! And we must have been in close lanes to each other because I was watching that group play cards on the platform, even got some pics of it! I think Mike buying the property next to the quarry made all the difference in the world. It never felt crazy crowded, and I did camp also! I was up there with 4 friends and they also enjoyed it!!! I didnt think our float time to two bad when you are trying to get that many in the water from so few entry points! I will also attend this event again next year, and hope to get a few more of my buddies to go that didnt want to be part of a "CF"...cuz it really wasnt!
Dive Safe Julie

I was actually starting my OW class this year when it occurred, but I read about the event. I would love to go next year, sounds like a blast and would love to be a part of it :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom