Gilboa Quarry and Sulfur Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I was wondering for the divers here that have dived the Gilboa quarry in Ohio, have you ever experienced the sulfur cloud that is supposed to be at about 80fsw and if so what was it like?
My dive buddy was there recently and didn't encouter it.

A "cloud" isn't really a good way of describing it. Id call it a layer I guess. Its just a layer of water where the color turns a little whiter, or opaque. The better the vis, the better for you to see it. Some days you really have to look hard for it.

Ill bet your buddy dove right thru it.

later,

dave

Big O is this sulfur layer a hazard??

Rooster1 once bubbled...
Big O is this sulfur layer a hazard??

Rooster1, I have done most of my training dives in Gilboa as have most of my dive buddies. The Sulfur layer has not been a hazard to anyone I know or to my self. The only thing I do is make sure I clean my gear very well as the sulfur can stick to your gear. Nomally you do not even notice but sometimes you can smell it on your gear when you surface. Most of the time the divers have stirred up the water so the layer is not noticable. The layer is most noticable early in the year when the quarry has not had a lot of divers in the deep side.

It comes and goes and moves. Last fall at Haigh the sulfer started about 50 ft (in 80 - 90 ft of water). Inside vis was close to zero. From above it looked like the bottom. At gilboa sometimes there is a thick layer about 10 ft off the bottom over Joe Jackson hole. We usually stay over the top. Some divers can smell/tast it underwater. I have been told that it goes through your skin and large exposures can be harmful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom