Gilboa Quarry in January...Invitation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gedunk:
Thx for the update. I'm glad you posted this for everyone to read. Sounds like a businessman trying to make ends meet to me. Not someone trying to gouge customers.

Having never been to Gilboa .... does it freeze over in the winter? If yes, does he keep it open with a bubbler system or something similar?

I don't think that any one who knows Mike would ever accuse him of anything nasty like gouging customers intentionally.

I can certainly understand trying to make ends meet because I'm having trouble doing that myself these days, I'm afraid, which is why I won't be able to be much help to him .

I hope he gets it worked out.

What he will learn... The local dives will take advantage of this pass and spend less money than they would by paying each time. And all the others that have a longer drive ( that would go there about 3 to 4 times) wont go there because it is not economical.

Who loses-- Mike With less money in his pocket.

It is to bad.

We will all lose..

Pure economics!!

Scott Scheid

Silly question, any idea why he didn't just raise the daily rate? If he had bumped it up a few dollars, most here wouldn't have had a problem, and he would have increased his income.

Particularly if he made it understood that it was to cover the winter expenses.

Question, I read in the thread that he doesn't charge for students and instructors in class. The instructors I knew about, but not the students. And not charging instructors is probably a good business decision, it lowers thier costs and encourages them to come back. Fact is for both my classes basic and rescue I paid to dive, didn't think anything of it. Come to think of it the classes from our shop have all paid to dive.

I would suggest to Mike that he should charge students, most don't have a problem with it, any more than going out on a boat to do an open water and having to pay for it. Lets face it $20 plus parking is actually pretty cheap for a weekend considering what the class cost, and possibly hotel. That might also help his income issues without causing a rucus and alienating a bunch of customers.

As an instructor that dives with students at Gilboa from time to time, they do charge students to dive there. Only instructors with insurance and at least one student is allowed to dive free. ( at least that has been my experience)

Back
Top Bottom