Gilboa Quarry in January...Invitation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend was at Gilboa Sunday, in the office while someone who had just arrived was checking in. He overheard Mike asking the customer if they wanted to buy the pass, or just pay the day fee. Perhaps he is already learning the value of flexibility.

I see on Gilboa's website that as of the 2nd of January the only way you could dive is to buy a $50 pass for three months. Just wondering if you all were able to get away with paying for the day or not? Just curious.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Nitrox Junkie:
I see on Gilboa's website that as of the 2nd of January the only way you could dive is to buy a $50 pass for three months. Just wondering if you all were able to get away with paying for the day or not? Just curious.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

yes, yes... inquiring minds would like to know...

Hantzu
It's da scuba...

I guess I will have to call and find out.. I can almost guess what the answer will be though.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hantzu701:
yes, yes... inquiring minds would like to know...

Hantzu
It's da scuba...

I just got off the phone with Mike W and here's some clarification. Hopefully I convey it correctly. Apparently, the website will be updated to reflect some of this.

As stated before, a winter pass is required. However, the ending date is twofold. First a pass is needed from Jan 2 to March 31, but the pass will be honored until April 30 to give those that purchase it extra time to get dives on it.

Secondly, NO pass is required for an instructor OR any of the students. Obviously, one can't get away with taking a drysuit class all winter long to avoid buying a pass though :wink:

He also stressed that he's lost money every winter since he's been there, but has tried to keep the quarry available to the divers anyway. However, to stem the bleeding he has to try something different to make it feasible for him to keep the lights, heat, and compressor running during the cold months, and hopes he hasn't upset anyone.

Just wanted to pass this along.
bob

Thanks WB. Sounds like you've filled in all the blanks and I'm sure it's appreciated. I still don't know why he has to go through all the trouble for the few hardy divers that visit in the winter months. I personally don't need all the amenities that he offers. We always bring our own air since my buddy has a fill station in his garage and I never eat there. I am sure there are those who do take advantage of those options but I don't. I remember when there used to be no one at the quarry. We would arrive fill out our forms leave our money and dive. After that we would pack up our gear and head home. I can say I won't be there this winter which is to bad. We take a few trips there but closer diving has now become more attractive option. Now again I am not trying to speak for anyone else just myself. I know if it was up to me he could turn the lights off and shut down the compressors. We have enough trips to the Great lakes already planned along with the quarry crowds in the summer that make my visits far and few between anymore. Winter is the best time to go but even now that is not that often.
Thanks again for posting a update..

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

That is exactly what we were hearing from him 10 days ago when we went diving there. I paid my $50 for the dives, and promised my buddy Dave, that we would be down at LEAST once more before the 30th of April to make some more dives....

wb416:
I just got off the phone with Mike W and here's some clarification. Hopefully I convey it correctly. Apparently, the website will be updated to reflect some of this.

As stated before, a winter pass is required. However, the ending date is twofold. First a pass is needed from Jan 2 to March 31, but the pass will be honored until April 30 to give those that purchase it extra time to get dives on it.

Secondly, NO pass is required for an instructor OR any of the students. Obviously, one can't get away with taking a drysuit class all winter long to avoid buying a pass though :wink:

He also stressed that he's lost money every winter since he's been there, but has tried to keep the quarry available to the divers anyway. However, to stem the bleeding he has to try something different to make it feasible for him to keep the lights, heat, and compressor running during the cold months, and hopes he hasn't upset anyone.

Just wanted to pass this along.
bob

Thx for the update. I'm glad you posted this for everyone to read. Sounds like a businessman trying to make ends meet to me. Not someone trying to gouge customers.

Having never been to Gilboa .... does it freeze over in the winter? If yes, does he keep it open with a bubbler system or something similar?

gedunk:
Thx for the update. I'm glad you posted this for everyone to read. Sounds like a businessman trying to make ends meet to me. Not someone trying to gouge customers.

Having never been to Gilboa .... does it freeze over in the winter? If yes, does he keep it open with a bubbler system or something similar?

It froze over last winter for the first time in about 10 years. It is spring fed and relatively small, so it does not freeze very easily. I guess that the spring keeps enough water moving to naturally do this. That is also why it is COLD, even in the summer.

...and the depth of the water for the small amount of surface area. With 14 acres on the surface, but depths around 130 feet for much of it, there is not much of the water actually exposed to the cold temps of the air above. If you look at the web site, you'll see the temps at various depths through the year, and the water just doesn't get all that far from the 40 degrees we found there a couple weeks ago.

This is my first winter of diving, and I find the only real problem is staying warm during the surface interval and finding a warm place to change. All of this will be different when I get my motorhome in a couple years! I'll be able to 'carry' my warm place to change and spend my surface interval on my back!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom