Gilboa w/ brand new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I checked your site, I guess since the checkouts are on the days that I'm gone, I'm out of luck?

The class dates are:
7/28 9-12am
8/4 2-5pm
8/18 2-5pm
8/17 10:30-12:30 am pool session
certification weekend is 8/24 & 25 at portage quarry.

OK, well I suppose I'll have to catch up woth you on another course b/c I will be in Cozumel on your checkout dates. Darn.

Ever been to Natural Springs (used to be France Lake) in New Paris, Oh.? It's a small quarry, most of it is 18-20 feet deep but there is a trench at the back that goes to 25-30 feet. It's a great place for new divers plus since it's shallow it's warmer than Gilboa or White Star (I get cold easy and I dove it July 1 in a 3 mil suit). It's close to Indiana off of I-70. Take I-70 west, cross the Indiana state line and take US 40 east (yes you backtrack a short distance). Go to the flashing light and turn left. Natural Springs will be on your left just before you get into town.

Gilboa during the week is still my favorite but it's so far away :(
Ber :bunny:

I did my OW at Gilboa and enjoyed it alot. It seems like a great place. I was also at Portage about 3 weeks ago. It seems pretty nice too. I little shallower too. The sign out front said 75 feet, but instructors that I went with told me the have never found anything close to that. They told me the realistic max depth was more like 55 feet. THere wasn't as much to see though, but it is less croweded.

I've been teaching and certifying divers in Ohio since 1989. I used to go to Gilboa for open water dives because the owner of the shop liked the bars there in Findlay. I found the Instructor platform way too crowded and the viz about zero after new divers hit the bottom. Platforms too small and in bad repair. Portage is where I do my Rescue classes. About 53 ft. at the silo. Whitestar Lake is more user friendly for New divers. The four platforms are great. About 73 ft. at deepest in the crusher stairs. I'll be at WHitestar on the 10th & 11th of Aug. & Portage on the 24th & 25.

Good Diving to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom