Ginnie springs depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Confirmed, Shands will not treat you if you're bent. They even have new chambers on NW 39th in the Spring Hill facility, and they still won't treat you.

(my neighbor works for Shands in the hyperbaric unit)

IIRC, you have New Orleans, Mobile, Orlando, Lauderdale, and Key West. Those are the only chambers that treat divers.

There's a new chamber opening up in Panama City Beach, and the rumor is that they will be treating divers, but I haven't heard anything concrete on when they'll go live, or if in fact they will be treating divers.

Confirmed, Shands will not treat you if you're bent. They even have new chambers on NW 39th in the Spring Hill facility, and they still won't treat you.

(my neighbor works for Shands in the hyperbaric unit)

What really sucks about this is that DAN still has them listed as a facility to send divers to for diving emergencies. DAN is a great organization,but they are only as good as their latest data base, and it pays to know where to go. DAN will send you to the nearest facility, they will process you in their ER, and then eventually send you somewhere to be treated,bottom line is a lot of time has been lost. Anymore I know where I can go to get treated, and I would head in that direction so I don't lose time, or option #2 is IWR.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2015 at 05:48 AM ----------

IIRC, you have New Orleans, Mobile, Orlando, Lauderdale, and Key West. Those are the only chambers that treat divers.

Looking east, west, and south, but cave divers need to think northward. Somebody I know that got treated for DCS was seen in Valdosta, GA, that is an hour north of Peacock. Albany, GA has a nice chamber, I got seen there, and they are 90 minutes from Mill pond. Panama City historically has been inconsistent about having a chamber online.

Panama City Beach now has a new chamber. Not sure about the availability for treating divers though.

New Hyperbaric Chamber Unveiled

Would be good to know. Was on a dive boat in PC, and the someone got an AGE. The hospital refused to take them, but the military base took them, but were highly reluctant. PC chambers have been on and off line so frequently that I stopped considering them dependable.

Travel Insurance is usually very light insurance, unless you're talking about DAN. I'd check into the overhead factor regarding your policy. Read the fine print.

ALSO, if you are cave diving, you should have a map and know the system before jumping in the water. My two cents.

I came to this thread because I'm looking forward to a dive Ginnie Springs with my wife and newly certified daughter and son in law in the next week or so.

Reading about the people that get "bent" in the spring, I'm thinking that maybe I'm missing something. Are these people not using or relying on their dive computers?

To add to the list, there is a Hyperbaric chamber that serves divers (and other patients) at Mariners Hospital in Tavenier FL (upper Florida Keyes). Not that you want to go there but its big with easy boy type reclining chairs.

lots of people dive there, and lots of people do decompression dives there.

its no surprise that folks get bent diving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom