Girlie Gook --- what's the best??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh, i don't know... cannot help but ask---why does it matter how one looks like during or after the dive?

i am curious.

it never bothered or bothers me.

I am by no means what I consider a girlie girl...I dive, I drive a jeep, I camp, I shoot and I deal with blood and poop for a living. But there are a few things I do while diving. After surfacing from a dive and prior to boarding the boat I do raise my mask and clear the nostrils of any snot that seems to magically appear from the pressures of the deep. This includes a good hack and spit if necessary. Better there with just me and my dive buddy then on a boat full of people. Besides he is usually doing the same thing. As far as the hair, I have mid length, fine color treated hair that I braid before the dives. I also have some hair goop that my hairdresser gave me that I put in before the dives...Kerastase Gelee Aqua-prooof. It is supposed to protect your hair from the UV, salt water and chlorine. Does it work...I guess. IT seems alwfully expensive to me, $38 a tube. And after the second dive on the boat, I do take advantage of the fresh water shower to rinse the hair. I keep a small bottle of humectress conditioner in my dry bag. Putting a large glob on my hair I comb out the tangles with the conditioner in. Then a light rinse with fresh water, leaving some of the conditioner still in, put it back in a ponytail holder and I am done. It at least keeps my hair from looking like straw. Just my two cents worth. Dive on

Yes, Belegenza smells good. Very good.

Regarding the posts about the "boogies"....It's SNOT that bad:)

down4fun:
I am by no means what I consider a girlie girl...I dive, I drive a jeep, I camp, I shoot and I deal with blood and poop for a living.

(Except for the jeep part) Are you sure we're not twins! Hah!

rhadamantus:
oh, i don't know... cannot help but ask---why does it matter how one looks like during or after the dive?

i am curious.

I am not so concerned when I am actually diving, but when I am finished and walking around the resort after the dive I prefer for my fine, thick, wavy hair not to look like a rat's nest. I prefer to not be sunburned with scaly skin. And as I mentioned in a previous thread, I would rather not look as if I've been smokin' the crack for the past 3 days. I don't have natural beauty. I'm pale, dry skin, tangly hair, and not very thin. I have to work at it. I do envy those who are able to get out of the water and look just as good as before they went in. I just don't have those genes unfortunately!

rhadamantus:

i am curious.

Even when you got home after the vacation or just back to work after a weekend of diving, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Hard to get back to looking remotely girly when your hair is fried, skin is scaly, and your nails are beat to heal!:D

rhadamantus:

i am curious.

Do you wear make up or go to the gym? If you do, why? For me, I feel better. When I put on a little eyeliner I do it for me, it makes me feel better. When I put on some sunscreen or something to protect my hair I'm doing it for health reasons (the skin not the hair). I'm not bothered if I don't have my eyeline or mascara on but I wouldn't mind finding a good one that I could wear when wet.

I never paint my fingernails but I have my toenails painted. Usually some wacky color--again because it makes me feel good.

I'm going to the spa Monday morning with a friend for a relaxing massage, again because it's all about me and how I feel.

I could care less if my buddies are horrified by my lack of makeup. :wink:

Just for kicks, I've been testing out "water proof" make up on my (very few) dives. I hardly ever wear make up on land, but I DO prefer not to look like death when I get out of the water. Scaring small children really isn't friendly....

So far:

Revlon Color Stay Lip Color DOES stay! 3 dives, and a regulator later, I had color! Amazing. (They have a few very natural shades, if you don't want anyone to know you have a little help! hehe).

Cover Girl Waterproof mascara lasted beautifully through the first dive, but got a liiiittle smudgy after the second...

I'll let you know if I try anything else! What a neat thread! And, Hi everyone!

Oh! And for hair, I use Avalon Organics' Peppermint Conditioner. It's a little easier on the environment (and not tested on animals!) and a good handful in dry hair leaves me silky after a dive. It's also preserved my not-so-natural-blonde hair well from chlorine and salt alike :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom