Girls in Commercial Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redheadeddiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(Unrestricted Commercial Diver)

Hello everyone,

A little background on me:
I'm very new to diving, as in: haven't finished open water course yet. I'm 19 years old and reside in Vancouver, British Columbia. I have been a volunteer at the Aquarium for 2.5 years and have a passion for marine life as well as diving. I crave a career in commercial diving. I am most interested in surveying, photography, video etc. I wouldn't protest getting my hands dirty in the more technology and construction sides either.

My question: What courses in college would be beneficial for me before possibly attending a school for diving in Campbell River. (DiveSafe to be exact) Also, ANYTHING you have that may possibly be helpful to me is extremely welcomed!!

Good for you..

And welcome to Scuba Board.

What will help you in college will depend greatly on what you actually end up doing and which college. Engineering can be a great help... but so could art and photography. Even video training could be of great value.

The road of life tends to have strange and unpredictable bends and turns in it...but I could easily see someone with your love of diving going into commercial video or the far more technical side. Don't forget there is also the research end of things. The video would best be served by taking classes in the land version (TV land) and the other end would be more in Engineering side.

Hello Redheadeddiver,

Welcome to Scuba Board

For a few perspectives on commercial diving, see these threads:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/259874-how-become-commercial-diver.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/177625-commercial-dive-schools.html

For a female perspective on commercial diving contact (PM) Divegoddess41
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/divegoddess41.html
Good luck and keep us posted,

Couv (former commercial diver)

Last edited:
(Unrestricted Commercial Diver)

Hello everyone,

A little background on me:
I'm very new to diving, as in: haven't finished open water course yet. I'm 19 years old and reside in Vancouver, British Columbia. I have been a volunteer at the Aquarium for 2.5 years and have a passion for marine life as well as diving. I crave a career in commercial diving. I am most interested in surveying, photography, video etc. I wouldn't protest getting my hands dirty in the more technology and construction sides either.

My question: What courses in college would be beneficial for me before possibly attending a school for diving in Campbell River. (DiveSafe to be exact) Also, ANYTHING you have that may possibly be helpful to me is extremely welcomed!!

I don't know much about commercial diving....

...but, if you have a passion for marine life, you might consider becoming a marine biologist or something of that sort. Commercial diving tends to involve things like underwater welding and such (so it's more like a welder that just happens to work underwater, than the kind of diving that you and I are thinking of when we think of diving).

I thought about going into welding and then into diving, but the course I'm planning on taking doesn't include dive welding in the curriculum. >.< I absolutely love marine biology.. however chemistry and physics isn't really my strong point.

Thanks Puffer Fish - the video/photography angle would really appeal to me. Having that experience seems like it could lend a hand later on.

Hi RH Diver,
I'd suggest contacting the school itself and see what they say.
Other than that, scroll down the forums till you get to the western canada sub forum if you want to connect with the local dive scene.
Welcome to the board,
Dale.

I just finished the occupational scuba and surface supply courses at divesafe last week. there are heaps of oppurtunities out there after graduation. extra training always helps but you could alway decide after the course which wayyou want to go with it. i think i may like to study more marine biology now that i am finished but i plan to work a couple years in the field diving and getting a feel for it before going to uni. if you have any questions the guys at the school ae great help. and if you want to ask me anything send me a message anytime. enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom