Global Warming? Not up here by any accounts!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, last night the temp outside was -42c static with a wind-chill dropping the cold index to -57c. Yes that’s right minus fifty-seven degrees Celsius!

Tonight the static temp will be -41c and the wind-chill of -58c due to the slightly higher winds. (I’d say it time for some ice diving!)

What does this mean in real terms? First off, if your car breaks down on the highway, and you are alone in your car for more than 2 hours, you will die! End of story! When you start your car in the morning, after it warms up enough to move, about 10 minutes minimum, the part of the tire that has been sitting on the ground over night is flat, as are all tire regardless of temp. However in this weather, they stay flat for about 10 minutes into the drive, causing the car to bump down on every tire rotation. If you slam the car door, you run the risk of cracking or completely breaking off the weather stripping around the car door. The material has reached its freezing temp and has become brittle.

On the good side, there are absolutely no panhandlers, squeegee kids, or vagrants of any kind on the streets. They have all moved to Vancouver by this time of year where it is warm, and flowers are growing. In light of that, I’d have to say the cold isn’t that bad after all.

...so what the *bleep* am i doing living in Florida? gotta move to Manitoba...

Yea, and you sneeze and the snot freezes to your face instantly.....yea!!!

If we are going to start speaking temperatures here is something I stole from my boys over on the Refrigeration site that I read every day..............

Eons ago I worked with an Engineer we called "Herman the German"..Real name Gerhard Neuman..
He always astounded us with wis mental conversions of °C to °F so quickly...Finally he told us Yanks how he dood' it.
Without fractions & in yer punkin' head...

Double the Temp(°C), subtract 10% of that number from itself, then add 32....Presto!!~!~! We now have °F.

Ex: 100 X 2 = 200
200 - 20 = 180
180 + 32 = 212

Ohhh yeah...That Herman the German guy finally got his lil' jet engine working, the first with variable stator blades....

Pretty good huh? But it doesn't work going from F to C. I think you have to use 1.8 or something. It is more complicated.

pt40fathoms:
Ok, last night the temp outside was -42c static with a wind-chill dropping the cold index to -57c. Yes that’s right minus fifty-seven degrees Celsius!

Tonight the static temp will be -41c and the wind-chill of -58c due to the slightly higher winds. (I’d say it time for some ice diving!)

What does this mean in real terms? First off, if your car breaks down on the highway, and you are alone in your car for more than 2 hours, you will die! End of story! When you start your car in the morning, after it warms up enough to move, about 10 minutes minimum, the part of the tire that has been sitting on the ground over night is flat, as are all tire regardless of temp. However in this weather, they stay flat for about 10 minutes into the drive, causing the car to bump down on every tire rotation. If you slam the car door, you run the risk of cracking or completely breaking off the weather stripping around the car door. The material has reached its freezing temp and has become brittle.

On the good side, there are absolutely no panhandlers, squeegee kids, or vagrants of any kind on the streets. They have all moved to Vancouver by this time of year where it is warm, and flowers are growing. In light of that, I’d have to say the cold isn’t that bad after all.

I hear you i am in Prince Albert Saskatchewan and it is flippen cold brother i can feel the inside of my mouth freeze if i breath through my mouth yikes luckly i am moving to Nanaimo in Feb it is going to be so nice and no more ice dives sad but the only ice i want to see is going to be in my drinlk lol..
YPA.gif

isn't ice diving the kind of diving that you get trapped under ice and like,
are never heard from again?

just checking

:bounce:

Yes, your spit will freeze before it hits the ground in this temperature. Unless your only 3 feet tall and the snow bank is level with your face of course.

Hey Padivers, you can always come for a visit in the winter and get your fix of ice diving you know, and then, maybe not.

And about being trapped under the ice, never to be heard from again. Well H2Andy, that does happen when they go under without proper training, or preparation. Just as in caves and wrecks, under the ice is no place for inexperienced or foolish divers. It will show no mercy and take your life without prejudice.

pt40fathoms:
Yes, your spit will freeze before it hits the ground in this temperature. Unless your only 3 feet tall and the snow bank is level with your face of course.

Hey Padivers, you can always come for a visit in the winter and get your fix of ice diving you know, and then, maybe not.

And about being trapped under the ice, never to be heard from again. Well H2Andy, that does happen when they go under without proper training, or preparation. Just as in caves and wrecks, under the ice is no place for inexperienced or foolish divers. It will show no mercy and take your life without prejudice.

Thanks for the invite but i think i will pass but if you ever out on the Island give me a shout i should have my sea legs.I am headed out to join the rest of Saskatchewan in BC it is true lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

pt40fathoms:

On the good side, there are absolutely no panhandlers, squeegee kids, or vagrants of any kind on the streets.

It also keeps the mosquitos down........

jbm

benncool:
But it doesn't work going from F to C. I think you have to use 1.8 or something. It is more complicated.

Here's an easy formular to convert F->C

C=F/2 - 30

Ex. 80F/2-30=10C :) That's not exact to a degree, but close enough.

khel

Back
Top Bottom