Gloves and hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure they are snug on your hands. The looser they are, the more water can enter, the colder your hands. It's a fine balance between snug and too tight. Try on a few, remember they will stretch a tiny bit with age.

to have warm hands you need a few things......first, your core must be as warm as possible. once your body temp starts to drop, the blood to the extremities is reduced which equals cold hands. you also need good circulation to your hands. some people have great circulation, some don't. might not be much you can do about that. try to make sure you are as warm as possible before you even enter the water. you also need gloves that are sealed. make sure your gloves are at least glued and blind stitched. some are double or triple glued. some even add a flexible sealer on the sewn seams. this prevents water from entering the gloves. the neoprene is water tight. it is the seams where some gloves will allow cold water in. and finally you must try to get a seal at the wrist. hopefully you can do this without being too tight which obviously cuts off circulation. some systems do a better job than others. some suits and gloves even use a double wrist seal so you actually sandwich the gloves and suit together. this usually works very well.
other than that.....buy a dry suit and use dry gloves. my hands have never been cold since i switched to dry gloves.

Henderson Aqualock gear keeps me warm though it is not as great of quality as I thought it would be for the price. Anyhow beyond that the exchange of water is very minimal so the warm water stays in longer. I actually have to get the water out between dives because it gets so warm that I over heat even on a cool day. So the gloves may work for you but not sure if you need it as a complete system for it to work correctly I only u se the wet suit.

I've been very happy with my XS Scuba Drive-5 gloves XS Scuba 5mm Dry Five Pyrostretch Dry Gloves
Technically these are semi-dry gloves. I have no trouble manipulating my camera with them and have much better dexterity that the Atlas/Showa 'papa smurf' gloves I was using before.

Local diving means the water can be in the low 40's. YMMV
I have a pair of these and find them no warmer than my AquaLung 5mm kevlar gloves - and they are much more of a pain on and off. I go with 7mm 3 finger mitts when I need more.

Icechip, I used to dive with "three finger" gloves made from 1/4" neoprene. They look like what they sound like. Two of your fingers go into each "finger" on the glove, so you've got some dexterity but in theory the two fingers together help conserve some heat. I'm not sure if anyone makes those anymore.

Icechip, I used to dive with "three finger" gloves made from 1/4" neoprene. They look like what they sound like. Two of your fingers go into each "finger" on the glove, so you've got some dexterity but in theory the two fingers together help conserve some heat. I'm not sure if anyone makes those anymore.

Thanks, that would be interesting to try, wonder where one could find them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom