Gloves for warm water diving; super thin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavachickie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was hoping there would be some awesome technology allowing for super thin gloves for use in warm water diving. But I've looked at my LDS (two, actually) and also online... and most are pretty substantial, even those meant for warm water diving.

As I'm a new diver, thick gloves which mess with my dexterity bug me. I considered going no gloves. But as a new diver doing a week in Cozumel, it was suggested I get a full length skin and wear gloves just in case I bump/graze/etc against something. Can't disagree with that, I've got a long way to go before I develop grace in the water.:dork2:

Suggestions? :confused:

Not familiar with Cozumel and their rules, but some operators in some areas don't allow gloves to prevent you from touching...may wanna check that out for sure.

Anyway...I've been using gloves for warm water dives, but after using my cold water gloves, they feel like nothing, and I've never had any dexterity problems using them (fiddling with cameras, and my computer) It's not like you're trying to pick up a dime off of a linoleum floor.

I'm using thin NeoSport gloves, with leather grips. I love them!

In fact...you can seem them in my avatar picture...

Last edited:
I don't know about Cozumel but in alot of warm water destinations gloves are prohibited (because they don't want you touching the reef). Personally I'd just skip them altogether. Makes for better motivation to perfect your buoyancy.

I use "reef gloves" when in FL panhandle. Plently dexterity and they protect you.

I went years without any gloves. But now I have used them I want go back. I mainly dive in cold 55 deg. water and my 1 mm is plenty and I still can work my camera. They are Scuba Pro. Also like others posted some places will not allow them.

There's a chance I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure you can't wear gloves in Cozumel anyway ... at least those areas within the protected marine park. Good question to ask in the Cozumel forum. In the case that you dive somewhere where gloves are actually allowed and of use, Pinnacle makes a nice glove with thin leather on the palm side.

If you can wear gloves you may want to look at dish washer gloves or what we call up here marigolds. Thin latex glove like you would use for washing dishes at the home. I use them with an insulating layer here in Victoria.

If it is against the rules to use gloves when diving, don't use gloves.

I agree on the full length skin. Not so much for protecting you in case you bump into the reef - if you don't have the buoyancy control to avoid that stay further away until you do. But another diver can push you into something, there are sometimes stinging creatures in the water, and you can get bumped or scraped up on boats and ladders.

But even if you are diving someplace warm where gloves are allowed, I'd skip them unless you have some real thermal need, know you might need to hang onto a line with nasties growing on it, or some similar "legitimate" reason. Otherwise, enjoy not having to wear them. The feeling in many tropical destinations is that people wearing gloves are more likely to touch or grab the the reef (intentional or not) and that's exactly why they are not allowed many places.

I am a firm proponent of "no glove" diving; however there are exceptions. If you need gloves to keep your hands warm enough to enjoy the dive, so be it. Also, if you are diving on wrecks which may be covered with sharp nasties of various flavors, again, so be it. but by and large, if neither of these two conditions apply, then ditch the gloves!

akona reef gloves allll the way, made of neoprene (backs) and leather (palms and fingers) I have great dexterity with them and they have protected me through many a day of spearfishing. after two years they still only have ... little holes haha. I've also tried mechanics gloves but they were still kinda bulky. The leather in the akonas still gives you sensitivity because its so thin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom