• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gloves

Discussion in 'Public Safety Divers' started by tbzep, Aug 9, 2017.

1. tbzep

tbzep Public Safety Diver

What gloves do you guys use for vehicle recovery, evidence searches in zero viz, etc.? My Bare neoprene gloves are tearing up just donning/doffing, in addition to the cuts and abrasions of general use.

2. ReefGuy

ReefGuy Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Drysuit gloves.

3. divad

divad Solo Diver

Blue Atlas gloves, or red or blue Home Depot knockoffs.

4. Resqdivemedic

Resqdivemedic Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Some of my guys have been using Aqualung Thermocline Kevlar gloves and they have held up well. I have also used the kevlar mechanics gloves with no issues.

5. Doogie38

Doogie38 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Honestly depends on the temp for item recovery I like to use the thinnest gloves possible so I can feel. I noticed inexperanced divers doing underwater extraction tend to slap the car or object. This can and will rip your gloves or skin. Move slow but with a purpose, lightly and carefully move your hand around, don't grab it fast and use it to control your buoyancy (make the object unstable or shift).

But back to the question I like the generic home hardware store gloves. And I'll sometimes spray them with a couple layers of plastic dip for added protection.

Subcooled and paperdesk like this.
  6. tbzep

tbzep Public Safety Diver

Now that's something I can wrap my cheap hands around!

7. dberry

dberry Hydrophilic ScubaBoard Supporter

CE-rated cut-proof flexible kitchen gloves - inexpensive and nearly indestructible. Great for wrecks, etc. Not perfect protection against punctures, tho. I think I paid $8 on Amazon.

8. DiverDave43

DiverDave43 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have been diving Atlas blue/grey palms for years and love them because 1 they really can take a beating and 2 they are cheap. Then again it doesn't bother me if my hands are cold so long as my head and core stay warm.

9. Resqdivemedic

Resqdivemedic Public Safety Diver

That's a great idea. Looks like I'll be heading out for some plastic dip. Do you know if that stuff sticks to neoprene? I am thinking it might be good to reinforce the knees of a wetsuit.

10. Horg

Horg Garibaldi

I use short sleeve Marigold heavy duty chemical gloves (~10 bucks) that I just pull over cuff rings on my drysuit. Very simple setup, I much prefer it to the cumbersome aqualung and si tech locking systems I used before.