glueing reading lenses in mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868:
The magnifier glasses can also be used on the outside of the mask as flip-ups, which is how I set mine up.

You'll see them if you go to my "View Public Profile" and look closely at my picture.

OK, ok..... I'm not going to continue until you all stop laughing..... :)

The ones pictured are $3.00 magnifier reading glasses with the arms removed and simply attached with rubber bands looped over the mask strap.

When I need the magnification, I just flip them down into place and, when not needed, they flip back up as pictured, completely out of my view.

You can resume laughing now.

I'm fine.... really. :D

I also bring a hand-held magnifying glass to see real tiny stuff. It's tough getting old.

Dave C

I'm going to try this.

dlndavid:
So why not silicon some into my mask, so I can read my gauges and watch better u/w.
QUOTE]

You might try "LEXEL". It's "16 times clearer than silicone."

If I used silicone, it would only be at the base, but I'll look into lexel.

TSandM:
Try discovering on a free ascent on a night dive that you can't read your depth gauge . . . I hate getting old.

I had exactly the same problem on a night dive. I bought one of these: XS Scuba MA280 Fusion 2 Gauge Reader Mask , and it was a great investment. I can now read my wrist computer fine, and the lens is small enough that it doesn't interfere with my regular vision. It's a bifocal mask with normal tempered glass at the top, and small magnifier lenses at the bottom. Well worth the money for those of us with old eyes...LOL.

I tried one of those on, but the lenses were really in the wrong place and I would have had to twist my neck to see my gauges. The bifocals I ended up with got placed just right.

Somebody here on SB gave me this company awhile ago...if you order 10 or more pairs they are less than eight dollars a pair, which means who cares if you lose one once in awhile!

free shipping on orders of 100 dollars or more...you can use them in masks too.

http://order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bi..._lToXthOz6nv6KpWhu9CPjLFDf3z4HK0bmkOStvTnPQ--

I put them in about six pairs of sunglasses, one of which are usually on my head, and I don't have to fuss with reading glasses, they are always handy! It has made my life much easier.

dave4868:
The magnifier glasses can also be used on the outside of the mask as flip-ups, which is how I set mine up.

You'll see them if you go to my "View Public Profile" and look closely at my picture.

OK, ok..... I'm not going to continue until you all stop laughing..... :)

The ones pictured are $3.00 magnifier reading glasses with the arms removed and simply attached with rubber bands looped over the mask strap.

When I need the magnification, I just flip them down into place and, when not needed, they flip back up as pictured, completely out of my view.

You can resume laughing now.

I'm fine.... really. :D

I also bring a hand-held magnifying glass to see real tiny stuff. It's tough getting old.

Dave C
Dave, there's a problem here. Magnifiers depend on the difference between the refractive index of air and the glass. If you wear them outside of your mask they're strength is greatly reduced because of the refractive index of the water that they're in contact with. They work much better if worn inside the mask.

Wes Pratt, a shark biologist I worked with some years ago spent a great deal of time designing and building a working underwater magnifying glass.

People have been glueing reading glass lenses into masks for many, many, years and that works well, as do the little gauge readers.

What I wonder is what kind of glue to use, not to have bad optical properties?

Back
Top Bottom