GLWC Spring Meet & Greet April 27 - 29, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
MIDive3.jpg

EVENT:

GLWC Spring Meet and Greet
Date: April 27-29, 2012

Gilboa Quarry
3763 Old St. Rt. 224
Ottawa, Ohio 45875
Phone: (419) 456-3300

For anyone new wishing to attend...
1.) Everyone is welcome. This is a great event to meet other local divers. Many of the group get together and make plans (or firm up plans) for charter events for this years dive season at this event. Typically divers start showing up at the quarry around noon on Friday the 27th. For those that have the proper trained, there is often an early afternoon deep dive planned.

2.) Mike reserves back turn around at the quarry for the group. This is were we have the "buffet" and also the evening camp fires. There are a few areas that are yearly reserved for GTXL1200's camper, MittenDiver's trailer, and Smith's camper. Other than that, there are areas for others to camp in that area as well. If you are looking for someone, that's probably where they are (or at least a good place to start looking!).

3.) Many people camp at Gilboa for the weekend event. As stated above, there is room to camp in the turnaround, or many camp in the sites around the quarry. For those we need electric, Mike has camp sites with electric by the office. In the past others have grouped up as well and rented the apartment, cottage, or bunkhouse.

4.) Denny (Barracuda2) has Mike bring back a stack of wood so we can have campfires/bonfires on Friday night and Saturday night. We ask for donations to help cover the costs of the wood. Donations can be made directly to Denny or can be paid at the office. Just tell the office it is for the GLWC firewood.

5.) Typically (although not required) everyone brings a dish to pass for the different meals. We normally have the following group meals:
1470 North Perry Street
Ottawa, OH 45875
(419) 523-6458

• Saturday Morning
  • Saturday Afternoon (this tends to be the biggest event of the weekend)
  • Saturday Evening (some new stuff comes out here, but mainly it is a continuation of the afternoon grazing!)
  • Sunday Morning

So, lets start the list of who is going and who is bringing what....

what are the water Temps? Can I wear my new 3mil shorty I just bought? I don't have any Friends, can I still dive? will someone buddy with me? I bought my regs while on Vacation in Florida those will work good right? I have 10 dives can I get in on the deep dive on Friday? What kind of food should I bring? will a can of pork and beans go around? what about grills do I need to bring mine or does someone have one? water drinks?? This is all new to me.. Does anyone know what the norm for this is???

I'm considering attending this as well. good chance to get some 'chilly' diving in and meet some locals.

I to am curious what the water temps would be on the 'recreational' side of the quarry.

what are the water Temps? Can I wear my new 3mil shorty I just bought? I don't have any Friends, can I still dive? will someone buddy with me? I bought my regs while on Vacation in Florida those will work good right? I have 10 dives can I get in on the deep dive on Friday? What kind of food should I bring? will a can of pork and beans go around? what about grills do I need to bring mine or does someone have one? water drinks?? This is all new to me.. Does anyone know what the norm for this is???

See what you just started, Ted???

I'm considering attending this as well. good chance to get some 'chilly' diving in and meet some locals.

I to am curious what the water temps would be on the 'recreational' side of the quarry.

Welcome meebs86. Your curiosity will be satisfied: Water temps about 38-40 at depth, 44-47 on the surface. dang cold!!! Don't let that scare you; the campfire is plenty warm. Any other questions, post them.

Thanks Mike for the sticky.

Count me in for somewhere between one and six divers! Both of my young'ns are freshly minted OW divers and the wife although not real fond of the sub-eighty degree water will prolly be talked into a dive or two. And maybe a brother or two to round out the Bix fam. As far as food I'm still thinking about it...... Prolly Portillo's ribs like usual but I may smoke up something special. Also gtxl guy and any other newbs considering coming to this thing don't be intimidated by the banter, it's what makes most of the group "special"!

I noticed that this is NOT on Gilboa's calendar. Whoever called and booked the turnaround (I don't recall who did that this time) ... can you call Gilboa and have them put this on their calendar on the website?

I noticed that this is NOT on Gilboa's calendar. Whoever called and booked the turnaround (I don't recall who did that this time) ... can you call Gilboa and have them put this on their calendar on the website?

I'll give Mike a call and get in on the calendar and on the website.-------------DONE!

All info now on the Gilboa website calendar. divegilboa.com

Last edited:
Here is the list to date. Feel free to copy and add your name if you are going and also fill in if you are bringing something for the "potluck"

Barracuda2
T. Bix (w/ up to 6 divers)
Divin'Hoosier
BoneCrusher

Barracuda2 - Traditional Toledo Polish Kielbasa
T. Bix (w/ up to 6 divers)
Divin'Hoosier
BoneCrusher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom