Going back...but its going to be a while..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

go once.....you will be back. The diving, food, people, cost, food, laid back feeling of the island, oh...and the food are all incredible. I've never felt unsafe .....it is NOT the mainland.

Our first trip to Cozumel was 2006, started going twice a year in 2009, now we're up to three trips a year.

Well we booked our flights for nine nights in Cozumel. Now we just need to figure where to stay and who to book our diving with.

Anyone stayed at the InterContinental? How was it? We are big on "all inclusive" so want to try to avoid that. Especially since apparently there are many good restaurants to try. :)

I'm guessing we need to go ahead and book our dives now? Do the best dive outfitters fill up way ahead of time? We want a catering type dive experience meaning nice boat and friendly fun folks with good snacks, and that let us dive our tanks. Full service on the surface etc.

Please make lodging and dive outfitters recommendations. In fact I may PM some of you for more specifics. Thanks for all the feedback thus far everyone.

Deciding where to stay in Cozumel involves some trade-offs. Almost all of the really good restaurants are in the Downtown San Miguel area, so if you want to be able to walk to meals and shopping, you stay in or near Downtown. Probably the nicest Hotel within Downtown is Casa Mexicana - very nice hotel, but is has no real pool (just a kiddie pool on steroids). For a downtown hotel with pool, most of the choices are a lot less luxurious, some downright spartan, like the Casona Real (about 3 blocks back in town from the North end of the main plaza). For nice hotels with resort like amenities that are close to Downtown, easy walking distance, there is the Cozumel Palace -very nice, but expensive and All-Inclusive. And no real beach - pretty much everything from a ways north of Downtown to past the International Pier has hard ironstone shore, so whatever "beach" area you get is going to be small and man made, and you'll need to navigate the rock to get into the ocean. Then, a little further south, but still in easy walking distance to town, is the Hotel Cozumel and Resort. A very nice hotel, big comfortable rooms, and a huge pool area. It has an AI option, but I would highly recommend against it, as the food (with the possible exception of the Breakfast Buffet) is TERRIBLE. Unless you are going to drink enough to make the AI supplement worthwhile without eating meals there, don't do the AI. There are some nice Resort type places in the North Hotel Zone, but I've never stayed up there as almost all of the diving sites are way south, and very few Dive Ops will pick up that far north. However, if you dive with Aldora (an excellent high-end valet Dive Operator) you might consider the Villas Aldora, where Aldora will pick you up right there, or some of the nearer North Hotel Zone resorts, like Playa Azul, where you can take an easy bike ride to the Aldora Villas for Diving. Then there are the hotels close to the International Pier - Casa Del Mar, El Cid La Cieba, and Park Royal (that is an AI, so I've never stayed there, but I hear that it's nice). All very convenient to diving as most operators can pick you up at your hotel pier. You can still walk to Downtown for meals, but it is a hike - about 2.5 miles, more or less. Taxis to Downton are 80 Pesos (about $5.00 at current exchange rates) each way for up to 4 passengers. Then you get to the Intercontinental Presidente, about 5 miles south of Downtown, and right next to the Caleta - the marina where almost all the Dive Boats are moored overnight. The Intercontinental is the ONLY 5-star resort on Cozumel, and very nice, but expensive. And if you want to try the restaurants Downtown, its about a $10 cab ride each way - you're probably better off renting a car. The big AI Resorts are a ways farther south - beautiful big natural beaches, and very convenient to Diving, as the reefs are literally right offshore, but very isolated from Downtown. But hotels are not your only option - for a stay of a week or more, you might be able to rent a Condo or even a House for not much more than a Hotel room, maybe less than what the very high-end hotels cost. El Cantil condos are almost immediately adjacent to the Cozumel Palace, a great location very near Downtown, and very nice - check rental rates and availability on those.

As to Dive Ops, I suggest that you research the high-end valet shops that are highly recommended on this Forum - Aldora (a big operator, 6 boats, I think, so divers are grouped together based on ability and experience; HP Steel Tanks, Steel 120s and Steel 100s are standard, with Nitrox available in any tank size, so very long dives, and a long SI at a beach club; Aldora takes care of all of your gear except wetsuits for the whole trip), Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicanos, Living Underwater, etc. Just scan these boards to see who likes which Dive Op and why to figure out which Op most closely matches what you want. And check to see where they'll pick up - some will pick up at a pier Downtown, a very few may pick up North of Downtown, almost ALL will pick up anywhere near the Caleta.

Well we booked our flights for nine nights in Cozumel. Now we just need to figure where to stay and who to book our diving with.

Anyone stayed at the InterContinental? How was it? We are big on "all inclusive" so want to try to avoid that. Especially since apparently there are many good restaurants to try. :)

I'm guessing we need to go ahead and book our dives now? Do the best dive outfitters fill up way ahead of time? We want a catering type dive experience meaning nice boat and friendly fun folks with good snacks, and that let us dive our tanks. Full service on the surface etc.

Please make lodging and dive outfitters recommendations. In fact I may PM some of you for more specifics. Thanks for all the feedback thus far everyone.

we stay at Casa Mexicana. It's around 70 US a night and includes the best breakfast buffet on the island. The location is downtown and within an easy walk to the two dive ops i have used before. Everything we enjoy is within walking distance. From the Mega supermarket to our favorite restaurants, to the town square. There is no beach though so you would have to go to a beach club if you like sand. Most of the beach hotels are at the far south end of the island with a few on the north.

As as far as dive ops, Dive With Martin, Aldora, Blue Magic, Blue XTSea, tres pelicanos, and several other will be mentioned on this site regularly.

Aldora is a larger operation with several boats. Their main difference is they use 120cf steel tanks and provide insane dive times within safety limits. They are a little more expensive, but if you figure in the 10 dollar up charge for an aluminum 100 tank everyone else charges, it balances out. Staying at CM, the Aldora pier is about a block away so there is time to eat breakfast and hit the boat without breaking a sweat. I would suggest diving Nitrox because of the nitrogen loads. A long nap was required after well over 2 hours of bottom time a day.

Blue magic has some great "sleep and dive" packages staying at CM, as well as other hotels. They leave from their shop and they pay the cab both ways to the marina. Their shop is about 4 blocks from CM. they are a very personalized operation, but do not use steel 120's. If you sip your air, a 120 may not be an issue for you so BM will be a little cheaper and the diving will be incredible whoever you choose. I'm a bit of an Airhog.....

Blue XTSea is a supporter of this site but I have not been able to dive with them yet due to scheduling. I'm sure they are one of the top operators on the island. Others regularly mentioned here with favorable reviews are Tres Pelicanos, living underwater (I think they use steel 120's too), and probably a dozen others.

There really is no "best" although you will find members here that will defend their dive op like their Mother. All of the diving will be incredible. The best is what fits your personal preference. The main differences will be -1. Where does the dive op leave from, 2. Where do they spend their surface interval, 3. What tanks do they use, 4. how big of a boat and and how many divers, 5.Computer dive or time dive- some ops ascend as a group when the first one hits 500psi, some let you and you buddy do the safety stop alone, some do a timed dive, Aldora will share air with the DM or bring a pony so everyone makes the long dive together 6. Some will give a cash discount if paying in US funds. 7. Some boats are back roll only

stay away from the cattle boats that cater to cruiseship divers. All of the ops I mentioned use 6 pack boats (Aldora has one larger boat, but only puts 6-8 divers on it). I can't imagine diving with 20 other divers off the same boat other than you would be waiting forever to dive or load the boat.

Absolutely book your dives in advance. Some do fill up, they are popular for a reason. Also.....BOOK AT LEAST ONE NIGHT DIVE!!!! You will thank me later if it is your first. The really neat stuff only comes out at night.

enjoy your trip!

jay

DEFINITELY DO A NIGHT DIVE!!! My very first night dive I was a little nervous, thinking "What happens if I lose the group? What will I be able to see in the dark? Is this going to be scary?" When I got back on the boat, my only thoughts were "That was AMAZING! When can I do that again!!" Beautiful blue-green Octopuses out hunting, free swimming morays, huge lobsters and crabs roaming free and hunting, and the bioluminescence when you turn off your light and watch the water in front of your face light up as you wave your hands through it.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2015 at 11:23 AM ----------

Just to follow up, I really like Casa Mexicana, and have stayed there several times, but ALWAYS during winter and early spring. If I'm going to be in Cozumel during the hot and muggy times, from May through September, then, for me at least, a big pool is an absolute must, and Casa Mexicana's little wading pool just doesn't cut it. Just something to think about.

If you are interested in a condo this one is spectacular. Great location near casa del mar and el cid. Beautiful pool deck and beach with restaurants across the street. Best king sized super comfy beds in mexico. If you split it with others, it is less expensive than any hotels.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6289654?s=3

.... Appreciate all the feedback.

For me it's that fantastic 200 foot of blue visibility underwater on a consistent basis. Not even my every week diving home port Jupiter, every has that " AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE ".

As I back roll in Coz, that just gets me in the grins every single time. You'll understand once it happens to you in Coz.

I'm pretty aware of personal safety and usually carry a gun. My opinions: Felt very safe in Cozumel and took my kids there. Walked around even at night. People are relaxed and truly friendly. Dives are very good (drift mostly) great viz, big healthy marine life and good mid to deep coral. I have been impressed by the professionalism shown by dive operators on Cozumel which is in contrast with some other places. Food is surprisingly top-notch at all levels. Somehow Cozumel has attracted or inspired great places to eat from basic tacos to finer foods. You need to diet before and after you vacation there. Lodging is good and a value although if you insist on true 5 star extreme luxury i didn't see much at that level. Diving is main thing to do on Cozumel as far as I can see. I like staying in town but there isnt much in the way of beaches in town. South of town the beaches get better and better. Rent a car or use taxis for exploring the island, esp Punta Sur...avoid mopeds (too dangerous) and drive legally and slowly.

Cozumel Palace is the place to be! This is the 3rd time in Cozumel and arriving in July for a week stay. My 11 yr old daughter is working on her Junior Open Water here in So Cal.

Back
Top Bottom