Going boat diving the first time in a couple weeks... few ??'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going boat diving the first time in a couple weeks for vacation.

Question #1 - tipping? who to tip and how much? tipping necessary?

Question #2 - gear setup? will they let me set up my gear? i'd rather do this...

Question #3 - Relif of oneself between two tank dives? what happens if I need to relieve myself of my personal waste between dives - and the boat has no head?

i think that's all for now...

#1 - Yes. The divemaster. Generally $5-$10 per tank depending upon level and quality of service.

#2 - Varies. Even if the crew sets up the gear I imagine they would defer to your request to set up your own gear.

#3 - Dive boats have heads. I'm not an expert in maritime law, but I think they are required to be so equipped by U.S. Coast Guard regulations. I've just never been on a dive boat that didn't have a head.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents

The K

The Kraken:
I've just never been on a dive boat that didn't have a head.
I have. If there's no head and you have to go, it's probably best to go overboard and downwind, or in your wetsuit while diving... or just try to be discreet when "filling your bucket".

You know, either hold it or figure something out. What else can you do?

That's hardcore, Matt . . . better you than me!!

MSilvia:
.... or just try to be discreet when "filling your bucket".
QUOTE]
One of the boats I use has no head, just a 5gal bucket.
It can get pretty comical at times. Just make sure your down wind from everyone on the boat.

I think customs vary geographically. I'll tell you what I've seen in So Cal.

#1 tips. Typicalyy there is a box for tips to be used as you leave. The crew, cook, Dm and all will spit this up On some boats food and air is not included in the price so you have to settle the bill as the boat is on the return trip. So then yo'd add some extra. Some boats are all inclusive with food and air provided. Then I'd stuff money in the tip box.

On some boats the DM is working for the boat on others he is part of the group that chartered the boat and they are two different bussienesses. Here in So Cal e might be making six figures in his day job in which case it is silly to hand him $5. A beer at the end of the day would be better. but in a vacation spot he could be some 3rd world type suporting a family on tips. It all dependsand should be easy to figure out based on where in the world you are.

#2 Around here no one but the diver touches the dive gear. except for air fills. One boats wants you to hang a little marker on the tank valve (after removing the reg.) if you need a fill but I've never seen any boat crew or DM that would touch your gear unless you asked for help then of course

#3 any boat larger then an inflatable will have some knd of "head". On small boats this can be privitive (portapotty and a shower curtain) on larger boats they've seen multiple full baths with tiled counters with hot showers.

yukoneer:
I am going boat diving the first time in a couple weeks for vacation.

Question #1 - tipping? who to tip and how much? tipping necessary?

Question #2 - gear setup? will they let me set up my gear? i'd rather do this...

Question #3 - Relif of oneself between two tank dives? what happens if I need to relieve myself of my personal waste between dives - and the boat has no head?

i think that's all for now...

I am goin' on a trip with Yukoneer. One question that I wanted to ask you guys: Do I need to buy reef gloves or use my 5mm Henderson stretch gloves?

Well, if we're still talking about the head, I think I'd use Charmin instead of my gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom