Going cheap on the small stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only way I will compromise on dive gear to save money is on looks. I would even wear pink gear:vomit: if it was the right quality and fit. Well.. we do go and buy things like snaps from a boating place. Same snaps and clips but cheaper than in the dive shop.

I wouldn't compromise on dive gear performance.

I don't make assumptions that performance equates to price.

Some of my gear is very economical.

None of my gear under-performs.

I leave brand label and prestige awareness to teenagers and people trying to compensate for insecurities.

I'll leave assumptions and comments about 'cheap Asian' or 'crappy Chinese' etcetera to the overt racists in the group.

@victorzamora and I have this discussion on things pretty regularly and we both believe that you should either buy the best, or buy the cheapest.

I think thats the right approach, although its sometimes difficult at the time to identify which end you should go for.

I have a quality Kent Tooling reel as my primary (usually for shooting a bag), but the backup is a standard finger spool rather than the admittedly nicer looking Apeks ones. Until recently my "cheap as chips" items were the hose retainers around my bailouts - nice, free, inner tube sections. However, one split so I bought a few "proper" ones and I have to say the firmer elasticity is a noticeable improvement.

But I definitely have the same disease as @boulderjohn - I've just bought a couple of gear-gulper type crates to lump all my stuff around.... I went for cheap there as "its only in and out of the car / boat" but I suspect they will head the way of the inner tubes and be replaced... salt water is unforgiving, sigh!

-Mark

I don't get the 'toothpick' analogy, because I try to totally eliminate things that I can do without on a dive. But I do get the point around purchasing decisions based on value and risk.

My approach might be a little different because I also have three kids who dive. And, for the most part, I supply all the gear for said activities.

For me a big factor in cost control is standardization. Not going the DIR route (per se), but standardization within 5+ sets of gear that I maintain. I limit the types of gear that we use as much as possible, or is practical.

This also helps me be a little more knowledgeable on specific brand/models, and makes buying used gear purchases smart, instead of random. (usually)

Just a few examples...

-other than my shearwater.. We have DG02 computers that I and all kids use. I have not paid more than $100 for any of the 4 I have, and they all work well for Nitrox diving and as a back-up to my shearwater

-Already mentioned are HOG regs. Decent value, and ability to self service. I also have several Poseidon regs, but am trying to keep my brand/types limited to these two, so spares and parts can be kept to a minimum.

-I have Dive Rite Trans-Pack harnesses for all my kids single-tank rigs. I have purchased them all used of CL. One I got for $35 and it looked brand new. *I did replace each of them with a new wing. ..I guess that was my compromise, and area to spend a little more.

-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom