Going deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's wrong with me?

I do not want to go any deeper than absolutely neccessary. Less light, less life, less warmth there. You do the depth, you have to do the (mindless) time. Hanging there and looking at the time counting down is not very appealing (unless I can get SB via Wifi on a pressure proof laptop).

The crystal caves of Abaco; that's another story...

It is not just the lure of the depth that you have to recognize and to respect.

And some have no interest in lobster hunting, others yet call cave diving "petting wet rocks" So you stay in the shallows and hunt those underwater cockroaches as for me I'll be on the wrecks in the darkness below.

As for the mid-water hangs...you'd be surprised the encounters with marine life I have had on ccr.

I for one, enjoy diving deep because I am mean. When I am diving with helium, I laugh at the fact that my usage is denying some poor child a baloon filled birthday party or some poor lady with a bad hip a proper MRI.

When I am diving helium I laugh because it makes me sound like Alvin the chipmunk ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I for one, enjoy diving deep because I am mean. When I am diving with helium, I laugh at the fact that my usage is denying some poor child a baloon filled birthday party or some poor lady with a bad hip a proper MRI.

ok that made me laugh

Do you cry when you see the Macy's parade?

There are 2 types of divers:
1 - Those that are perfectly happy at their current level of training/diving with no need or want for anything more.
2 - Those that want to go deeper, penetrate further, or just do more.

Of the second type of diver, there are 3 further types:
1 - Those that will not actually do anything, but still want to.
2 - Those that will get the proper training and progress safely to their goals.
3 - Those that will just do it, perhaps with mentors, and hope for the best.

There is no need in discussing where I fall into the above categories, but it sounds like you have your head screwed on fairly well. I still have not reached my depth goal either.

It's not necessarily true that there's less life at depths. Some forms of life only grow deep. This time next week I'll be on my way back to Nootka Sound ... where I saw my first cold-water gorgonians a few weeks ago. You won't even see the little ones above about 150 fsw ... and the larger ones start at about 170.

IMG_8198.jpg

Coming upslope, there's no need to hang ... cloud sponges between 120 and about 70 feet ...

IMG_8372.jpg

... and carpets of color above that ...

IMG_8076.jpg

... deco never looked so good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I get the sinking feeling (no pun intended) that I live in the wrong corner of the country/world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom