Going on blackbeard's cruise in Sept. 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am going solo on a blackbeard's cruise in early Sept. Is there anything I should know or be aware of? I have been diving less than a year, so I'm kinda new at this. I am currentally AOW level (mostly quarry diving and a couple of ocean dives). Are the dives beyond my scope of skills at this level? Is it hard to find a buddy? I made certain that I identified myself as a beginner & a solo to Blackbeards. I'm not sure what too expect, so I'm excited, but at the same time a little nervous. Any travel tips to make things go smoothly? I have thoroughly read through their web site, and in places it seemed a little vague. I have been camping a bunch as a kid (4 siblings + parents in a pop- up camper) so the room (I always got the smallest bunk) and privacy shouldn't be an issue. I would apprecate any information to make it a great trip.

Welcome to the board. My husband and I have booked our first trip with Blackbeards for June 3-9. If you do some searching on the boards, you will find several posts about Blackbeards. That is what I have done to prepare. Several people have posted trip reports that you can read. If you look hard enough, there are some pics to see from people who have been before. Pack lightly, so I've been told. Bring spring clamps from HomeDepot or Lowes to clamp down towels, wet clothes, etc. Bring a big mug with a lanyard on it so you will always have a cup handy. These are just a few things I have picked up from others' postings on the board. Good luck! Have fun. Be on the lookout for my trip report. I will do one, for sure, when I get back and will post pics.

You'll have a good time. We did the Cat Pplau with Blackbeards and thought they were a class act.

If you're on one of the sailboats yes, quarters are tight, sort of slave ship accomadations but it's about the diving and they'll make sure you have fun.

Have fun!! You should have no problem finding a buddy. There were solo divers on my trip (Feb 25-Mar 3). Bring clips or clamps to dry stuff on the railing between dives. As for a cup. I brought one on reccomendations from the board but everyone gets a plastic mug labeled with their name and a peg to hang it on. You don't really need to bring one! Space is small but definetly do-able. Don't pack a ton of clothes. There are a few outlets to recharge batteries etc. but bring an extension cord. The outlet in our bunk was on the ceiling and my recharger couldn't stay plugged in hanging upside down.

The dives are of varying depth. I dove from 40-120ft while on the trip. There were newbies and tech divers and everyone had a great time. As always if you feel it is too difficult sit it out. There will be plenty of other dives.

Relax...you'll have a great time.

Miranda

I think I will be giong on a blackbeards cruise July 1-7, also without a buddy. I have saw nothing but good reviews for Blackbeards, so I am looking foward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom