Going past 130'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen:
With 15 dives you should be happy with staying in 30 feet of water. There are thousands of things to see and do that you have never seen before. After you have seen lots of these things, then plan to dive deeper.

To many divers jump the gun for deep diving. They do not have the experience or the knowledge to be there. If you have less than 100 to 200 dives, you should stay within recreational limits.

Hey Curt,

What do you think about the UWATEC, Smart Com?

You are right, my fault. These kind of things happen when you are not mothertongue.

No reason to rush into deeper dives. Ask a tech diver what he/she sees at 240'. Grouper, rays, assorted fishes.
Other than a really great wreck I am not lured to the deep. (to me deep is over 100').

I am a very happy diver jumping in the 65' warm reef fishes O plenty dives.

I understand the Techies and the enjoyment they have with all the gear and the calculating, they get juiced up days before figuring out their dives as much as doing them. While I do preplan, and enjoy doing it.... there would be a cut off point for me where it would become more work than fun.

I still have not seen, spent time with or named every fish in the 100' water column yet.

Breaking the 130' mark is dangerous be it on air or Nitrox or TriMix. I wont reiterate the reasons again... they're found throughout this link already. With that said I am not against exploration by those that are properly trained and qualified.

What I am against is a guy with 15 dives even giving it consideration. There is little to see down there except for specific locational wreck diving, cave diving or possibly some larger or more elusive shark / whale species. Some agencies now push "Technical" training on divers who otherwise have no need for it - just to make a few more bucks.

In most cases deeper diving also involves additional training such as Cave, Wreck Penetration (and I don't mean what's taught by SSI & PADI) etc...

With so much to explore and discover within the recreational limit of 130... I have to wonder why anyone needs to go deeper... except to say they did.

Ken

tribaltim:
Why is it exactlly that recreational diving should not be done past 130' enen on Nitrox or is it alright to go deeper on nitrox as long as your well educated in that area?

One thing that hasn't been pointed out yet, but that you will learn in your enriched air nitrox class is that it is not intended for deep diving. :)

With so much to explore and discover within the recreational limit of 130... I have to wonder why anyone needs to go deeper... except to say they did. Ken[/QUOTE:
Not to get off the subject, but deep exploration has its place for those of us who have put in the years, got the training, did the dives, spent the money of the best equipment, and have the experience needed.

Still, deep exploration is very serious, it no longer ranks in the realm of recreational, but more professional diving.

Deep decompression diving should not even be concidered by those with limited diving experience. Lets say less then 300 to 1000 dives.

Partial pressures, oxygen toxicity (albeit briefly) and nitrogen narcosis are certainly all covered in the basic course here so i cant see it out of place in a forum.

A lot is personal responsibility and common sense - thirst for knowledge is a good thing. Common sense should stop people putting into practice something they read on an internet forum with no real world backup.

The bottom line is this. What is below 130 feet that you want to see? Actually at this point, you should be diving above 60 feet. Get your experience first then think about the deep diving.

A serious question is to ask yourself why you want to go so deep? Are you diving deep for the bragging rights or some real compelling reason? Deeper is more pressure on both you and your equipment. You might need to consider is your equipment right for that type of diving.

I have rather limited diving experience (220 dives in 4 years) and I am not at this time interested or concerned with diving beyond 130. In fact, I have only dived to 110 feet a few times (4x). At your current level of experience, I would not even consider the training to go below 130 until I had dives in the 3 digits.

Curt Bowen:
Not to get off the subject, but deep exploration has its place for those of us who have put in the years, got the training, did the dives, spent the money of the best equipment, and have the experience needed.

Still, deep exploration is very serious, it no longer ranks in the realm of recreational, but more professional diving.

Deep decompression diving should not even be concidered by those with limited diving experience. Lets say less then 300 to 1000 dives.

Wow Curt this comment makes you sound well not so nice. I mean I got the same line when I started Skydiving about 7 years ago. Your going to fast you need to slow down and "invest your time(money) in the sport" Please don't get me wrong and remember this was just a question in the begining. I know I have a lot of certifications to go through until I am qualified to dive that deep. I'm just very excited and optimistic. I have never half assed anything in my life and I don't plan on doing it with diving I will be a professional someday. I know I need more experience Curt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom