Going sidemount but....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Long story short. Traveling in South, Central, north and Southeast Asia for 18 months.

Currently a rescue diver with a few hundred dives in many conditions (Arctic, zero visibility, Galapagos, Maldives, quarries, etc)

Have my own backmount equipment back home in Canada, steel 130's and Al80's, dry suit, etc.

Decided to do my DM and in Thailand in November,and my IDC and MSDT in Indonesia in December, as well as sidemount.

I need help.... obviously, I won't be able to bring any of my own equipment...it's home and my backpack is already bursting at the seems!

So my issues are, I need a sidemount kit, that I'll be able to use in freezing waters back home...it seems as though most Asian boutiques don't sell the kit, therefore I should likely get it online.

I travel a lot, and figured that I would best be served by a lightweight hybrid system, such as the diverite nomad XT, Hollis sms75, or 100.

As far as regs go, I am looking at the Hollis dcx , nomad XT (diverite), or Hog D1... although open to any suggestions as long as they are cold water rated!

Any setup suggestions?

Especially, any idea how best to buy them and have them safely shipped in Asia and avoid duty fees as much as possible? Or else, can anyone recommend a good place to buy in Thailand or Indonesia?

Finally, recommendations for good dive schools in Thailand would be awesome. I already picked the one in Indonesia!

Thanks for everything!

JF

the XT/SMS75&100 should only be considered if you have to mount tanks on your back. For most people there are better rigs out there. In Asia you'll be diving AL80's, and those rigs are not designed for that. They are also not quite lightweight.

Freezing waters are irrelevant to the rig discussion since you will be diving a balanced rig. It only becomes problematic when diving things like 130's in Florida caves where we aren't wearing any lead and the drysuits are quite snug.

I love the Hollis Katana and think it is absolutely brilliant, but in Asia they tend to use the Mexican style rigs and I think the xDeep Stealth is the best of that lot.

For regs, just use your doubles regs and swap hoses over. You still get to use most of the hoses and especially if you have some sort of swivel turret first stage you'll be perfectly fine.

Contact Cave Adventurers, talk to them. They'll hook you up with what you need

Thanks.

Actually I don't dive doubles. Bad wording on my part!

And I actually wanted an hybrid system. I have an aqualung glacier as my main reg, and a legend lx as an octopus.

Do you think I'd be able to do all of my dm and IDC certifications as sidemount? I was more inclined to get a hybrid system to learn with the same equipment I would teach. And since I already have a backmount vest at home, seems pointless to buy another one for the courses!

Then again I could get a job sidemount rig in sale for 429$ Canadian, or a Nomad ltz for 499$...

I travel a lot, and figured that I would best be served by a lightweight hybrid system, such as the diverite nomad XT, Hollis sms75, or 100.

None of those would qualify as a 'lightweight' system. 3 of the heaviest, most bulky systems on the market.

The SMS100, especially, is an ungainly leviathan. There's loads being sold 2nd hand... interpret a lesson from that :wink:

There's plenty of rigs to choose from, especially of you'll be shopping online. Here's a list: A List of Modern Sidemount Diving Systems

The 3 rigs you mentioned are all 'American' (Florida Cave) style. These are the big, bulky ones... heavyweight, but the worst for travel. Many also need modifications and adaptation to use with aluminium cylinders (which is all you'll find in Asia and most tropical or warm water destinations).

Hybrid systems have too many compromises to be particularly good in either role. They're a false economy IMHO. Inevitably people regret buying them for that purpose.

For comparable cost, you could buy a cheap BP&W and a cheap minimalist sidemount.

For SE Asia diving... and lightweight travel, you can't beat the Deco Sidemount rig. It's a steal at $275 and performs exceptionally for warm water recreational sidemount.

I put this together as an example, but you can get even cheaper: The $1200 Budget Sidemount Diver

I'd suggest it's better to look at the English (Mexican Cave) style of sidemount design if travel is a big issue. Some of these are also very effective with larger steel tanks and cold water diving.

Models like the XDeep Stealth, Apeks WSX and Razor are very lightweight and low bulk for travel... and handle both steel and aluminium cylinders excellently.

To learn more about the two design styles of sidemount BCD, read here: The Two Schools of Sidemount Diving Heritage

As far as regs go, I am looking at the Hollis dcx , nomad XT (diverite), or Hog D1... although open to any suggestions as long as they are cold water rated!

Here's some alternatives:
A List of Sidemount Regulator Sets

(I need to add Deep6 to that list also - Deep 6 Signature Sidemount Regulator Package )

If you're travelling, do consider your access to service/maintenance for the brand you buy. It sucks to go travelling and find out that you can't get your regs fixed or maintained anywhere.

That's why I use Scubapro or Apeks... the service network is very extensive globally.

Or a company like Deep6... who'll provide you with service kits and offer training for you to service and maintain your own Deep6 regs.... can be invaluable for the traveller and in the long run...

Any setup suggestions?

The best suggestion I can make is to get very effective training from a credible sidemount expert instructor.

Setup is very specific to the individual rig, BCD model, cylinders used, diving usage and your physical specifications.

Trying to configure by yourself will lead to many pitfalls and can take months.. even then you'd miss the small attention to detail that makes such a difference.

There's info online, but much of it is clueless... and, even then, the good stuff might not be relevant to you and your rig.

Research and find an instructor who lives and breathes sidemount... who uses it full time as their primary diving kit... and ideally across a range of advanced diving (tech, caves, advanced wreck penetration etc).

Do be aware that there's hordes of useless, inexperienced, incompetent, sidemount instructors (and instructor trainers) out there...

Do also consider getting Steve Martin's video sidemount course. It covers a lot of great info on setup and skills.... and would out you in a very advantageous position prior to training.

Especially, any idea how best to buy them and have them safely shipped in Asia and avoid duty fees as much as possible? Or else, can anyone recommend a good place to buy in Thailand or Indonesia?

Apeks/Aqualung dealers will probably sell the WSX-25/45. Should be easy to get in Thailand (it is in the Philippines).

Not sure about XDeep... I know Mandarin Divers in Hong Kong are XDeep dealers. I've seen people get the best prices buying XDeep direct from the company in Poland... they'll also custom embroider your rig for free, I believe.

There's a few 'Go Sidemount' (Razor) instructors around SE Asia... they would normally retail the BCD.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the food for thoughts...more research to be done ! Not in a hurry, so I'll take my time :)

Any thoughts on taking the IDC and DM course while on sidemount?

Thank you. This almost looks like the perfect kit for me. I do have a couple of questions though.

1). Do you think the Deco system would be suitable to use in Canada with steel 130's and a dry suit?

2) the deep 6 signature seems pretty cool and has great reviews. My only concern would be getting it serviced in Canada...what do you think? (Although you do make a point about being trained and doing it myself...)

Oh and 3....the Philippines will be on my itinerary in early 2018... Interested in swaying your way for a course or two!

For SE Asia diving... and lightweight travel, you can't beat the Deco Sidemount rig. It's a steal at $275 and performs exceptionally for warm water recreational sidemount.

(I need to add Deep6 to that list also - Deep 6 Signature Sidemount Regulator Package ).

Thank you. This almost looks like the perfect kit for me. I do have a couple of questions though.

1). Do you think the Deco system would be suitable to use in Canada with steel 130's and a dry suit?

2) the deep 6 signature seems pretty cool and has great reviews. My only concern would be getting it serviced in Canada...what do you think? (Although you do make a point about being trained and doing it myself...)

Oh and 3....the Philippines will be on my itinerary in early 2018... Interested in swaying your way for a course or two!

I don't think you would like the DECO rig with steel tanks. You generally want rails to clip off large steel to.

@Jean Francois Desfosses

the deco rig will barely handle 130's, but it will handle them. You will probably want to find a butt plate of some sort that can be added later. Frankly I don't like sidemounting 130's and unless you need that much gas, I would look to find something else. Old LP72's sidemount quite nicely and are very inexpensive.

The Deep6 regs can be sent back to Georgia for service or you can DIY service them. If you're a dive pro, you arguably need to know how to service your own regs, and if you're ever planning on doing technical diving, you flat out need to know how to service your own. You may choose not to, but you need to know how to.

Many good points... I actually think I might get the Deco rig for the duration of my Southeast Asia trip. At that price I can either sell it back or keep it and still be cheaper than rentals. When I get home I can try different cold water rigs and see what fits best.

Did some research and will most likely get the d6 regs.

The only issue remaining is weather it looks weird taking DM and IDC on side mount...or teaching open water courses in sidemount... then again I had instructors in backmount doubles...

Back
Top Bottom