Going Sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I can figure out, there is really no effective way to move yourself straight sideways. In your example on the wall, I either allow myself to drift while facing the structure, or, if I want to stop, I orient myself slightly facing into the current and fin into it. If the current is sufficiently strong, this doesn't work very well, either.

In the circumstance where current is pushing you into your buddy, you can both crab into it (although this can affect your ability to navigate accurately). But all too often, what I've found is that the upcurrent diver is really pushed, but the downcurrent diver is sheltered by his buddy and doesn't really need to crab as much -- so the upcurrent diver turns into the flow and starts kicking his buddy. Occupational hazard of current diving, as far as I can tell :)
I totally agree with Lynne. Being a competitive breast stroked in a past life, I have the bad, but very effective habit of taking a single breast stroke with either hand when positioning myself on those rare occasions that nothing else really works. Not sculling because it's a firm, effective, single and purposeful stroke. People who scull move their hands around almost like they are trying to keep their balance, dog paddle or fly. I just take one hand across my body and push down hard. It will turn me since it is one handed, sort of like a boat oar.
Probably not the best technique but the only one I can think of.

I totally agree with Lynne. Being a competitive breast stroked in a past life, I have the bad, but very effective habit of taking a single breast stroke with either hand when positioning myself on those rare occasions that nothing else really works. Not sculling because it's a firm, effective, single and purposeful stroke. People who scull move their hands around almost like they are trying to keep their balance, dog paddle or fly. I just take one hand across my body and push down hard. It will turn me since it is one handed, sort of like a boat oar.
Probably not the best technique but the only one I can think of.

You can do the same thing with your feet. Think of that breast stroke kick. It's very much like what divers often call a frog kick. Do it with just one leg and you'll rotate. If you're feeling saucy, you can push with one foot and pull with the other, and you'll rotate faster.

What do you do when you need to go sideways?

I'm often drifting in a gentle current, not necessarily a drift dive because the current is not faster than I can swim, but still strong enough that you cannot just hold position without doing something. Let's say I'm facing a wall, looking at a Giant Pacific Octopus, and the current is running along the wall. I understand that it's theoretically possible to orient yourself so that you are swimming into the current, and just look to the side, but in reality, that just doesn't work out.

Another scenario is when you are trying to maintain position with your buddy and turning into the current is not an option because you'd run into them.

Also, I'm often in situations where every movement has to be super-gentle, or else there's so much silt you can't see anything.

So what do you suggest?

Here are some youtube videos of propulsion techniques:

YouTube - The Back Kick

YouTube - The Helicopter Turn

YouTube - Propulsion Techniques - Scuba

These will help prevent silting, and allow you to rotate so that you are facing into the current.... but really in all but the lightest current you will need to either swim into the current, or anchor yourself in order to maintain position.... just like fishes do.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom