Going Sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you do when you need to go sideways?

I'm often drifting in a gentle current, not necessarily a drift dive because the current is not faster than I can swim, but still strong enough that you cannot just hold position without doing something. Let's say I'm facing a wall, looking at a Giant Pacific Octopus, and the current is running along the wall. I understand that it's theoretically possible to orient yourself so that you are swimming into the current, and just look to the side, but in reality, that just doesn't work out.

Another scenario is when you are trying to maintain position with your buddy and turning into the current is not an option because you'd run into them.

Also, I'm often in situations where every movement has to be super-gentle, or else there's so much silt you can't see anything.

So what do you suggest?

Throw out an anchor.

If that is you in your avatar with the force fins then....

I have never used force fins so this is just a total guess from looking at them and imagining that spinning your body or controlling yourself with only your fins may be a unique technique that would take some getting used to. With long, stiff fins just a subtle movement of the tip of the fin in one direction changes your whole position. Just a thought...

Jet Fins, no problemo.

N

As far as I can figure out, there is really no effective way to move yourself straight sideways. In your example on the wall, I either allow myself to drift while facing the structure, or, if I want to stop, I orient myself slightly facing into the current and fin into it. If the current is sufficiently strong, this doesn't work very well, either.

In the circumstance where current is pushing you into your buddy, you can both crab into it (although this can affect your ability to navigate accurately). But all too often, what I've found is that the upcurrent diver is really pushed, but the downcurrent diver is sheltered by his buddy and doesn't really need to crab as much -- so the upcurrent diver turns into the flow and starts kicking his buddy. Occupational hazard of current diving, as far as I can tell :)

I agree with finning into the current, on a slight diagonal. The stronger the current, the more angle. Just snap your fins a few times a minute and you should stay where you want, with good bouyancy control. I use blades, so this seems easy. You may need to work it a little more with the force fins...........good luck with it. Dive safe.

I understand that it's theoretically possible to orient yourself so that you are swimming into the current, and just look to the side, but in reality, that just doesn't work out.

Assuming I can comfortably swim faster than the current, it works just fine in reality. If conditions make that a bad assumption, I point the scooter that direction :D:mooner:

... you could always grab ahold of the octopus ...

(just kidding, Sam) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom