Going solo - what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy,

Did you start this post for advice or just to argue with people's opinions? Many experienced people have provided a fairly unanimous answer. I suggest you take heed.

Heed is indeed taken.

---------- Post Merged on July 28th, 2012 at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was on July 27th, 2012 at 04:29 PM ----------

Going to mammoth lake today with Maximum Scuba. Hope to see someone there.

Please post a list of these real problems that I don't understand. Please be specific and up to the point. Otherwise it is hard to learn. Please make a list for the sake of beginner divers. Kind of, either make a list or don't post. Let us not beat around the bush.

---------- Post Merged at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:13 PM ----------

I am not a certified instructor and cannot comment on this. You are welcome to address you concerns to my instructor: Amber Pearce, B&W Dive Co. in Channelview, TX. Thank you.

Also, please post "a few" phone numbers to call. Please be specific, post area codes, the phone numbers, names, and the hours I can call.

PS: I am an introvert and have problems forming friendships, personally soliciting people I don't know is not in my nature.
I once made a bonehead mistake in shallow water with a steel tank. I forgot to turn my air on. Couldn't inflate the BC and couldn't get positive because the tank was full, so I was an extra 9 lbs or so negative. Took me a second to figure out what to do. I didn't have enough air in my lungs to orally inflate. I didn't have any ditch able weight because the tank was heavy enough and I was diving a wetsuit.
I wasn't really even diving solo. Just getting my wetsuit flooded while waiting for my buddy. I thought I was going to drown in 10 feet of water!
Just an example of something that can go wrong in shallow water.

Experienced solo divers tend to avoid posting outside the solo diving forum on SB so as to avoid being piled upon.

Not so ... lots of us are happy to talk about solo diving outside of that particular "inner circle". It's a legitimate topic, and one that's becoming increasingly discussed among divers who are not yet ready to try it.

There's nothing wrong with talking about solo diving outside the solo forum ... it's one way to get the solo-curious to really think about it rather than just jumping in.

To the OP ... I solo dive regularly, have over 3,000 dives, and am cave, trimix and wreck certified ... and I wouldn't consider solo diving to "test" gear. Depth isn't the issue ... you can drown in a bathtub. The issue is that if you're testing equipment, that implies there's something about the gear that's unknown to you ... either it's new to you or you've just had it serviced. By definition, you're using equipment that has the highest probability that it won't perform as you expect it to.

This is the very best reason to have someone along who can help you out if things don't go as expected. That's risk-mitigation 101 ... and the fundamental skill you need to solo dive is the ability to be honest with yourself about the potential risks and what you would do to mitigate them.

There's an article on my website that might help you put your question into perspective ... NWGratefulDiver.com

Depth isn't an indicator of your preparedness to solo dive ... knowledge and attitude are. The former involves understanding the real risks involved and what to do to prepare for them. The latter involves your ability to honestly assess your skills and make decisions about your preparedness to conduct the dive safely ... which is what people mean when they say if you have to ask, you ain't ready.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:13 AM ----------

What would be a contingency beyond:

1) Out of air, free flow
-- Switch to octo or dump weights

2) Got stuck in a sea-weed, fish line, etc
-- Cut it or deploy the noodle

What else might happen? Alligator? Heart attack?

Your body's natural response to suddenly being faced with a problem you don't have the knowledge or skills to get yourself out of ... otherwise known as "fight or flight".

Those responses have served us well as a species for millenia ... as land-based creatures. Underwater, they can kill or injure you quick. This is why we train ... not to acquire skills so much as to learn how to deal with problems. Diving is a very situational activity ... "what else might happen" can be something as simple as a mask that won't quit leaking and takes your mind off what you're doing. Diving accidents are rarely attributable to a simple cause, but are more the result of a series of events that cascaded out of control because the diver was to inexperienced or distracted to make the right decisions. When you look back on them, some of the root causes were ridiculously simple things that anyone can easily resolve ... particularly from the comfort of a keyboard. But in the real world, simple distractions often result in poor decisions that can turn a simple problem into a complicated one before the diver even realizes that the solution was easily within their ability.

This is why the solo course requires a minimum of 100 dives ... because it often takes that much experience to develop the instinctive responses to keep simple problems from becoming complex ones that you would have difficulty handling.

Lots else might happen. When you can elaborate on what those things might be ... and prepare for dealing with them ... then you're ready to consider going solo ...
.. Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:13 AM ----------

If I'm understanding correctly, you mean that, contrary to the advise given by others here, that you believe one should not even enter a pool alone with scuba gear since one cannot breathe underwater in a pool? I'm not arguing or disagreeing, I just want to make sure I've properly understood your enigmatic sentence

I know of an experienced diver who died testing gear in a swimming pool. He was alone and testing a rebreather he'd just finished working on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Experienced solo divers tend to avoid posting outside the solo diving forum on SB so as to avoid being piled upon.

Not so ... lots of us are happy to talk about solo diving outside of that particular "inner circle". It's a legitimate topic, and one that's becoming increasingly discussed among divers who are not yet ready to try it.

OK. My modified version is "Many experienced solo divers tend to avoid posting outside the solo diving forum on SB so as to avoid being piled upon."

I know of an experienced diver who died testing gear in a swimming pool. He was alone and testing a rebreather he'd just finished working on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I knew several people that have died in car accidents, yet I still get in my car everyday.

Out of curiosity was the cause of death something that an open circuit diver would encounter, and if so would having a buddy present have prevented that (since obviously this whole discussion revolves around the need for a buddy)? I've only been able to find reference to 2 "scuba deaths in a pool" and both involved re-breathers. I've also found plenty of reference to breath-hold related pool deaths. I haven't been able to find any reference to an open circuit diver dying (I r

For the record, I'm not advocating solo diving and I would not do an "actual" dive solo, but I admit I have checked my gear for a minute or two in a pool myself. when I did so, I was aware that I was not "safe" there was the possibility that something could go wrong. I'm just saying the list of things one can possibly die from is long. Avoiding everything that is theoretically possible (even in the absence of statistical probability) would result in a pretty boring life. I might slip on the stairs and break my neck when I go down to get some ice tea in a moment - but it's not going to stop me from doing it.

---------- Post Merged at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:29 PM ----------

In case anyone was concerned I did make it back safe. I did however encounter the opportunity to choke on an almond though (actually 7 opportunities)

Out of curiosity was the cause of death something that an open circuit diver would encounter, and if so would having a buddy present have prevented that.....

Irrelevant really - the issue isn't what initiated the incident. Many issues can spark an incident. The issue is that he ultimately drowned, in "a safe pool environment". Thereby, it dispels the myth that a swimming pool is a foolproof safe solo diving location...

The further issue, relevant to this debate, is that; if not alone, he probably wouldn't have died...

I haven't been able to find any reference to an open circuit diver dying

Look harder....

I've heard of a few... the fact they might not appear in the first 5 pages of a Google search doesn't mean they didn't happen...

For the record, I'm not advocating solo diving and I would not do an "actual" dive solo, but I admit I have checked my gear for a minute or two in a pool myself. when I did so, I was aware that I was not "safe" there was the possibility that something could go wrong. I'm just saying the list of things one can possibly die from is long. Avoiding everything that is theoretically possible (even in the absence of statistical probability) would result in a pretty boring life. I might slip on the stairs and break my neck when I go down to get some ice tea in a moment - but it's not going to stop me from doing it.

This issue with solo diving is never about avoiding risk. That's just Russian Roulette.

The issue with diving is about mitigating risk.

mit·i·gate /ˈmitəˌgāt/
Verb:
Make less severe, serious, or painful
Lessen the gravity of (an offense or mistake)

The buddy system goes a long way to mitigating most common scuba risks. A long way.... When you remove that particular mitigation factor, you need to replace it with alternatives. Those alternatives include a mixture of technique, training, equipment, physiological and psychological factors.

If you know someone who died in a car accident, then you cannot avoid the same thing - but you can mitigate further against it. Especially if the exact causes of the accident were known. Wear a seatbelt, buy a car with air-bags, drive slower, train to be more observant and situationally aware, stop texting when you drive, get advanced driving lessons etc etc etc

If you worry about the risk of "falling down stairs when going to get ice tea"... you can't avoid that either, but you can (again) mitigate against it. Don't leave clutter on the stairs, fix the loose carpet, don't let yourself get distracted, watch where you place your feet, walk down the stairs slower...

The word 'mitigate' is particular relevant to OUTCOME, rather than initiation of an incident. You can't necessarily prevent something bad happening - but you can put 'safety nets' in place that stop that bad thing from having a more serious impact.

Examples:

Out-of-Air:
Unmitigated = drown
Partially Mitigated = stay shallow - perform CESA
More Mitigated = access buddies AAS or your redundant air source

Entanglement:
Unmitigated = drown
Partially Mitigated = rely on buddy to help you untangle
More Mitigated = cut yourself free with your dive knife (with a back-up blade, just in case)

Regulator Failure:
Unmitigated = drown
Partially Mitigated = breath from freeflowing regulator for emergency ascent
Mitigated = identify and resolve problem on pre-dive equipment/buddy check
Mitigated = perform AAS ascent with buddy
Mitigated = perform safe ascent using redundant gas system

As a recreational diver - it should be easy for someone to assess the training they have received and identify the risk mitigation measures that they have been provided with. Hint: You'll find most of them within the syllabus of entry-level / open-water training courses. Hint: Most of them include the existence/support of a buddy diver.

The first step towards safe solo diving isn't to avoid risk factors - because you cannot - it is to replace the mitigation factors you lose by going solo.

If you are a recreational diver who "dives within the limits of their training and experience", then you have a clear outline of the skills/procedures that you need to replace within your skillset... and a good clue about the equipment necessary to support the new skillset that you'll need. Go through each aspect of your risk mitigation 'tool-set' and replace it with something equally reliable and effective.

Instead of a buddy with an AAS, you have a redundant air source.

Instead of a buddy with a knife, you have a back-up knife.

Instead of a buddy with a cool head who can calm you when panicked, you have experience and training.

Last edited:
I knew several people that have died in car accidents, yet I still get in my car everyday.
As do I ... but I don't assume that just because I'm going slow, or not very far, that I'm somehow "safe". The point relevent to this discussion is the assumption that a solo diver who doesn't know what they're doing is any safer simply because they're "only" going to 25 or 30 feet ... or swimming in a pool. People who assume that they can handle any problem by doing a CESA are kidding themselves ... sometimes CESA isn't an option.

Out of curiosity was the cause of death something that an open circuit diver would encounter, and if so would having a buddy present have prevented that (since obviously this whole discussion revolves around the need for a buddy)? I've only been able to find reference to 2 "scuba deaths in a pool" and both involved re-breathers. I've also found plenty of reference to breath-hold related pool deaths.
It was not ... the CCR diver died due to hypoxia ... his equipment malfunctioned and he simply passed out. Had there been someone in the pool with him he would've still passed out, but the likelihood of surviving the experience would've been greatly enhanced.

As an inexperienced diver, the greatest risk in solo diving isn't skills-related ... it's ignorance ... doing something completely off the wall simply because it never occurred to you that you shouldn't. The next greatest risk is emotional ... finding yourself with a problem that you haven't encountered before and imagining it to be a greater threat to you than it actually is.

You can't avoid every risk ... but you can avoid a great many of them simply by recognizing what the risks are and knowing what steps to take to reduce the possibility of their occurrance. When you're inexperienced, that often isn't something that occurs to you because you haven't yet reached a point where you can know what those risks are. Most experienced divers can look back on their early experiences and recognize risks they took that they would not take now that they have the expreience to recognize them ... despite the fact that they now have better tools to deal with them. Unfortunately, some who took those risks never got the opportunity to become experienced divers.

Will it happen to you? Who knows ... you might get lucky ... and you might not.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Even if scuba is new to me, I have been a capable swimmer and free diver for a long time.

NCadiver, I am not 12.

Heed is indeed taken.

---------- Post Merged on July 28th, 2012 at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was on July 27th, 2012 at 04:29 PM ----------

Going to mammoth lake today with Maximum Scuba. Hope to see someone there.

Since you change your post and it vague what you are doing this is why I said what I said. Ally your stuff.
Texasguy

I had OOA event once. I was little and had a full blown asthma attack. Felt like breathing last PSI's out of a tank through a very crappy regulator. Worst thing was that I knew that there was nothing magical like "surfacing" that would instantly cure OOA.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...se-vote-have-you-ever-been-out-air-ooa-7.html

Nitrox - warning for beginnerdivers
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/428281-nitrox-warning-beginner-divers.html

Can anything be done to lessenair consumption for a beginner scuba diver?
What is proper trim and how doyou achieve it?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/428370-can-anything-done-lessen-air-consumption-beginner-scuba-diver.html

PS: Why are tanks called 80,120, 130, etc? Is it its height in centimeters or some other units?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/428370-can-anything-done-lessen-air-consumption-beginner-scuba-diver-4.html

It does not look like you learned anything in you course or you did take one and you are here trying to get trained. And in the end if you end up dying out there or having a mishap it will be us who will have to clean up your mess.
I don't know if you have asthma or not or that you ran out of air but either way it bad for solo diving and scuba as well. You made a broad statement about enriched air and you don't know the fundamentals of cylinder sizes or proper trim.

Think about this guy it has to be a bad car accident or massive car pile to make it news worthy but one dumb A** to mess up our sport

How vulgar, NCadiver. Don't you have a command of English language to express a thought without a use of curse words?

"It does not look like you learned anything" - yeap, go after my intelligence. :crafty:

So, not a thing, ah, not a single thing? Not a single fact or even a number? Am I in a coma but walking? :rofl3:

Well, let us say I am mentally retarded as you suggest, unable to learn anything new, really bad at memorizing information, incapable of learning. In USA we don't blame mentally challenged people for their disability because we are moral and upstanding. If you suggest that I am a retarded person... and you flame at a retarded person, call names... it does not put you in a positive light, ah? It is kind of sad that you would stoop so low as to verbally abuse a mentally challenged person, as you see me as one. You do not appear to have any pity or decency.

PS: With the asthma attack bit, I don't think you have a sense of humor. Ha!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom