My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Wookie posted something about dive boats in the US having legal issues with elevators. I don't remember specifically what it was, but it's not as simple as just putting an elevator on the back of a boat.

It’s a coast guard tegulation thing of some sort. Not a ban, but they don’t fit into an approved regulatory box or something like that.

If I had physical issues that wouldn't enable me to successfully perform technical diving as optimally as possible, I'd recognize the risks, err on the conservative side, and focus my dive activities on areas where I could safely perform all necessary tasks and complete my dives with sufficient capacity to address any contingencies. And for that reason, I don't consider myself a technical diver or undertake dives typically considered beyond recreational

Just because you consider SM to be a lesser choice does not mean it is. If you had actually read the thread, which doesn't seem to be the case, you would have read that SM on Great Lakes wrecks is actually fairly common.

ETA: just saw you're from California. Your local practice does not trump mine.

Last edited:
I think she is saying she physically cannot get in and out of the water with a twinset. It doesn't matter how long the dive is once she is in if she cannot get in or out.

Maybe a rebreather would be a better plan. Some are relatively light. Or move to where there are lifts on boats.

Why do you think I would actually want to move when I want to dive right here? And the U.K.? Hah!

Why do you think I would actually want to move when I want to dive right here? And the U.K.? Hah!
Some brilliant diving here (and mostly of boats with lifts)! Scapa Flow is a brilliant site for wreck divers especially if you can manage longer bottom times (with twins or a breather).

@Wookie posted something about dive boats in the US having legal issues with elevators. I don't remember specifically what it was, but it's not as simple as just putting an elevator on the back of a boat.
The old 'it's the law' excuse...

There is at least one.

Given east coast sea levels are rising disproportionately quickly you think the 'elevator' manufactures would take advantage of sea proofing opportunities asap. Getting in on the ground floor so to
speak.

The Coast guard does not say no, there are a couple of boats with lifts in the US, one in North Carolina. No, the reason is that the Coast Guard regards diver lifts as an elevator. That means it has to be designed as a lift capable of lifting people, which is only about a zillion times as expensive as building a UK style lift. And, of course, if we travel to another country, they get to inspect the design, too. There is no regulation stopping it. If you'd like to see the list regulating it, I have no problem digging them up.

Found it.

Sucks, climbing back onto a boat with a full size rebreather and enough bailout for a deep wreck is a pain in the ass.

Found it.

Sucks, climbing back onto a boat with a full size rebreather and enough bailout for a deep wreck is a pain in the ass.
Getting back on the boat with heavy doubles and deco bottles is also a real pain. I think it is the hardest part of deco diving in the ocean. I wrenched my shoulder getting on a boat under tough conditions last January, and it took a month to heal. I would love it if a boat had one of those.

Getting back on the boat with heavy doubles and deco bottles is also a real pain. I think it is the hardest part of deco diving in the ocean. I wrenched my shoulder getting on a boat under tough conditions last January, and it took a month to heal. I would love it if a boat had one of those.
I always hand off deco bottles and stages to the boat crew. Climbing a ladder and lifting that weight is a great way to get bent like a pretzel.

I always hand off deco bottles and stages to the boat crew. Climbing a ladder and lifting that weight is a great way to get bent like a pretzel.
I usually do, too, but even that is not a lot of fun in rough seas. It is sometimes easier to carry them on, at least if it is only a couple of 40s.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom