Going through the airport with my gear for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charko

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone! Rookie diver here :happywave: , not long ago AOWD certified.

I decided to get a hard case, so I can group my gear easily (picture below). I travel to Malta in two days, and I've never been through customs with something like this... This will fly in my checked luggage. I was wondering: did you ever had any issues transporting this kind of equipment? Maybe the question sounds silly, yet I wonder what will happen during check in, when I get asked if I'm carrying knives, and I have to mention my scuba knife.

Any input and experiences is greatly appreciated :)

IMG_20230619_211646.jpg

Nowadays, it is assumed that when you check in on line for your boarding pass you will have read the list of items that are prohibited for checked and carry on luggage. As already mentioned - and particularly with the amount of luggage that goes missing these days - you do not want to separate yourself from regs, computer, camera, and mask.

My important stuff goes in carry on.

It gets searched everytime. Once the x-ray shows its dive gear...... half the time the tsa agent is jealous and wants to come with me.
I am curious about 2 things....1) why do you have your mask in a protective case that is housed in a bigger protective case. 2) why are you diving with such a big knife?

Airport security/airline will not ask about your knife if it is in your checked baggage. Customs/Border entry officials may ask about it when you clear customs but typically you will not have any issues.....typical protocol is to head to the "nothing to declare" line and not stop or say anything unless an agent stops and questions you. If you are comfortable concerned they will give you the stink eye for your dive knife, then buy a smaller one or get something different like a trilobite line cutter....you will have less issues/concerns with one of those.

-Z

I am curious about 2 things....1) why do you have your mask in a protective case that is housed in a bigger protective case. 2) why are you diving with such a big knife?

Airport security/airline will not ask about your knife if it is in your checked baggage. Customs/Border entry officials may ask about it when you clear customs but typically you will not have any issues.....typical protocol is to head to the "nothing to declare" line and not stop or say anything unless an agent stops and questions you. If you are comfortable concerned they will give you the stink eye for your dive knife, then buy a smaller one or get something different like a trilobite line cutter....you will have less issues/concerns with one of those.

-Z

Hey, thanks for your input!

1) I was thinking about having a better item placement inside the case... yet I did that because of two things: A), the scuba case it's really not bigger than the mask, so it occupies almost the same space; B) I'm wondering if, in case I just put the protective case alone, the lid will get warped when the luggage moves.
But it's not a firm decision... I actually don't like the protective foam a lot.
2) The knife is actually pretty small (Aqualung Squeeze Blund Tip Blade).

I would ditch the knife, wrap the mask in a t-shirt, and pack the dive watch/dive computer, and mask in a carry on packback along with a regulator set if you have one.

Or...I typically put my mask in the foot pocket of one of my fins and the fins go in my checked baggage along with everything else except my dive computer and reg set which goes in my carry-on backpack. I find pelican cases and the like to be overkill and just extra weight/baggage to lug around.

For a checked bag, I use a light weight wheeled duffle bag made from ripstop material. I bought it in 2014/2015 and have used it for diving and extensive work/personal related travel and it has held up remarkably well:
1688676283391.png

I believe the brand is Coronado.

-Z

Maybe the question sounds silly, yet I wonder what will happen during check in, when I get asked if I'm carrying knives, and I have to mention my scuba knife.

View attachment 791309
You might get arrested. You cannot carry the knife tool I see in that case through security. Absolutely not. You can put that in checked luggage. The least that will happen is it will be confiscated, the worse, I hear diving in Guantanamo, Cuba is great this time of year or wherever the Germans send bad people for vacation opportunities.

I put all my carry on diving gear in a regular carrying suitcase. Two sets of regs, two masks, two backup lights, canister light (trip was to MX for cave diving), two dive computers, two transmitters. I was able to fit other stuff like clothes in the same bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom